Ergonomics by de Sade

• guitargeek
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
19 Sep 2007 13:17 #171589 by guitargeek
Ergonomics by de Sade was created by guitargeek
I got a set of clip-on handlebars from caffcruiser some time ago.

I tried to fit them up but found that the GPz master cylinder wouldn't work...

So I put the superbike handlebar back on and waited.

Last week, another friend sent me the front brake master cylinder from a GSXR and the process started again...

I could use the gixxer master cylinder, and thought to mount the clip-ons above the top triple clamp but ran into more clearance problems. I decided to go ahead and switch to the triple clamps that came with the GPz fork I've been using (thanks again, R4!)

While I had the front end apart I had to take the opportunity to knock the rust off of my axle, bolts, spacers, brake bolts, headlight bracket, etc. I deglazed my brake rotors with some 120 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander, then chucked a cone brush into the drill press and went after the rotors...

caffcruiser had used shim stock to get the clip-ons to fit his KZ650 fork tubes, but I altered the clamps so they'd actually cinch up. I also altered an extra gauge mounting bracket and fabbed up an adapter plate to tie the bottom of the headlight bracket to the brake splitter mount.

This whole process took three nights to complete because every piece I took off needed some kind of attention before it could go back on, plus I had to dig through lots of different parts bins and coffee cans to source up various fasteners and such.

The next day I went over everything and made sure nothing was loose before I saddled up and went for a test ride.

First I hit these sweepers near my house:

Then I rode around Draper Lake, the only curves around here:

My impression of the changes?

In a word: "Wow."

In a similar word: "Ow."

It's very easy to initiate a turn now, as though I'm perpetually perched on the verge of turning. I've lowered the triple clamps about three inches, so it's a bit twitchy but hasn't given any indication that it's inclined toward head shake or tank slappers or anything untoward. It's a pretty aggressive seating position, and I can already tell that I'm going to have to build up my arms and torso before I take any long trips with this setup, as it works a different set of muscles than I've been using with the superbike bar. Surprisingly, it's not so uncomfortable on the highway as you might think. My elbows and knees are so close together that I can rest my elbows on my knees.

I spent three nights working steadily on my bike so it'd be ready by Sunday. I'd planned to ride it to my doctors appointment on Monday for my monthly infusion, and I needed to test it before I rode it into the insane Oklahoma City traffic. Riding my motorcycle is the best part of an otherwise dismal experience, and it just wouldn't do to have the front end fold up on me while I'm trying to get home before the side effects kick in.

One odd thing: my speedometer quit working about a mile after I left the house on Monday. When the side effects ease off, I'll go out and pull the cable and see what the deal is with that...

UPDATE: I just unscrewed the bottom connector and this fell out:

I can't bitch too much, it's the original speedo cable: 27 years old with probably 40k or 50k on the clock.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2007 13:24 #171592 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Ergonomics by de Sade
way cool, looks like you did a bang up job

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
19 Sep 2007 13:29 #171594 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic Ergonomics by de Sade
bangin....

more pics with the bars straight from above the tank! haha

looks way rad

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

• guitargeek
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Sep 2007 14:32 #171605 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Ergonomics by de Sade
scumbag wrote:

bangin....

more pics with the bars straight from above the tank! haha

looks way rad

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
19 Sep 2007 17:16 #171625 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Ergonomics by de Sade
The bars look good but I don't think my old back would take the riding position for long.
As for a the speedometer cable, mine just broke this weekend. Go the your local auto parts store and buy a 72 inch cable repair kit. It just contains the inner cable with a square piece you put on the end to fit a car you can't use this piece.
On the bike cable, file or grind the side of the bike fitting down so you can heat it up and pull the broken cable out. Then put the old cable pieces end to end and cut the new cable to match the length, then you can either jb weld or solder the old bike end back on the new cable. I soldered mine with acid core solder and paste flux. Lubed it with never seize as I was twisting it into the sheath. Works great, I have now needle wobble at all, there used to be just a little. I got my cable for 6 buckazoids.
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• guitargeek
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2007 16:56 #171849 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Ergonomics by de Sade
Would you believe I had another cable already? It's about a foot shorter (which is a good thing), came with an instrument cluster I got on ebay a few years ago.

Back in business!

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"