Engine offset 1/4\"-1/2\" on KZ/GSXR bike.... problem?

More
27 Aug 2007 17:04 #166718 by caffcruiser
I had to offset to clear the chain and get the mounts in there the way I wanted them.

I don't think that it makes that much difference on this engine and frameset, but I wanted some other opinions.

I know that the newer bikes like R1's are offset from the factory.

Does this little amount matter ya think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2007 17:53 #166735 by kzwolfsr
Maybe from an oil pick up stand point and clutch lubrication, there might be some problems even transmission lubrication. Why man Why?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
27 Aug 2007 17:57 #166736 by caffcruiser
Why would there be problems in lubrication from that? lol

The engine is still sitting paralell to the ground as it should.

My point was that it's not centered laterally in the frame. It's over 1/4" to 1/2" more to one side.

More
27 Aug 2007 18:21 #166738 by Z1R rider
I'd think if you put a KZ motor in a Gixxer frame you might lose some cornering clearance on one side, if it's a Gixxer motor in a KZ frame :woohoo: I'll be prayin for ya! :lol: :P

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
27 Aug 2007 18:43 #166750 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Engine offset 1/4
Z1R rider wrote:

I'd think if you put a KZ motor in a Gixxer frame you might lose some cornering clearance on one side, if it's a Gixxer motor in a KZ frame :woohoo: I'll be prayin for ya! :lol: :P

Start prayin. :evil:

77 KZ650 frame with an 86 Gixxer 750 engine. :evil: :evil: :evil:

More
27 Aug 2007 21:27 #166791 by donthekawguy
I would think as long as the angle it will be at is close to what it was in the original bike it will be fine. The ofset is no problem it's the tilting that will hurt it.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
28 Aug 2007 05:49 #166836 by galaxian
As cool as your project looks right now i am wondering what is it going to feel like riding. I mean you are putting an engine that has more horespower than a kz in a chassis made out of plummbers pipe. The chassis wasn't anything spectacular when it was new let alone with an engine that puts out that much power. ALso take into concideration that you are also putting a stronger swingarm on thus creating even more stress on the frame itself. Since there is less flex is the new swingarm that energy will transfer to the frame. At least brace your frame as much as possible and you may be fine. I think this is one of the coolest looking bikes just am not sure if it will ride and handle to its potentential.

Question for you what is the weight diff between the kz and gsxr motor? Also why offset the motor why not machine the sprocket carrier to make up the difference in the chain line? Remember that as long as the engine center is IN the center of the frame you are fine, otherwise your bike may handle differently for each side.

Sorry for the long rant just got excited...

;)

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
28 Aug 2007 15:26 #166945 by caffcruiser
<
professional welder/metal fabricator. (That's actually my exact job title. :)) Believe me man, the gusset kit will be more than adequate.

Streetfighter magazine has done a few articles about the KZ/GSXR swaps, and even ubraced frames actually do okay. B)

Weight difference is actually pretty significant. Haven't scaled them, but I'd put money on the GSXR longblock being about 40 pounds LIGHTER than the KZ lump at least. Put it this way... I can pick up that GSXR motor and walk it around the garage pretty easily. The KZ is definitely more of a challenge.

The front engine mount setup is a 2 tube paralell gusset that will keep the frame from flexing laterally in front.

The rear engine mounts will be mounted on a single tube laterally, eliminating rear flex.

There will be a traingulation longitudinally incorporated into the rear upper shock mount (Duc shock bracketed straight to the R6 arm with a aluminum bracket tigged to the arm), so that will kill flex there.

Plus, there's some gussets at the front upper corner (replacing those tin plates that are a JOKE with some tubing.) and then tie in gussets under the tank.

Contemplating reinforcing the neck too since the new front end is stiffer which means more force transferred to the neck.

HP for this engine (IIRC) is 127hp. Should scoot, no? ;)

With the right upgrades (properly tuned suspension) and the right chassis fabrication it should be pretty lightweight and handle well I think.

Thanks for the suggestions/brainstorming though. :)

***** Oh, for the offset I decided it was less work to do an offset setup and pull the chain side in (which is also the heavier side of the engine anyhow) that to start modifying anything on the engine.

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/08/28 18:28

More
28 Aug 2007 16:47 #166964 by caffcruiser

Remember, this is still in progress. Just a VERY rough mockup. :)

The engine looks tilted cause well... it is. Wasn't bolted in there for the pics.
:lol:

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
28 Aug 2007 19:01 #166998 by scumbag
lookin goood holmes...

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
29 Aug 2007 06:40 #167088 by galaxian
Well your welds look really nice!! I would like to see your frame bracing once all of them are done. This is a really interesting project from a chassis standpoint in the sense that i wonder how close to "good handling" you will get with the bracing?? It does help that the GSXR engine is lighter too. Keep up the good work and post even more pics.

Kudos to you for taking on this project!!
You arent located anywhere around Chicago are you??

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
29 Aug 2007 09:09 #167124 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine offset 1/4
caffcruiser wrote:

Remember, this is still in progress. Just a VERY rough mockup. :)

The engine looks tilted cause well... it is. Wasn't bolted in there for the pics.
:lol:

wow that motor looks tiny in there!looking good though!B) weve been offsetting motors to do swaps in old cars for years without problems,as low as it sits i dont see any balance issues with it it;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.