Engine offset 1/4\"-1/2\" on KZ/GSXR bike.... problem?

More
29 Aug 2007 19:20 #167247 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Engine offset 1/4
galaxian wrote:

Well your welds look really nice!! I would like to see your frame bracing once all of them are done. This is a really interesting project from a chassis standpoint in the sense that i wonder how close to "good handling" you will get with the bracing?? It does help that the GSXR engine is lighter too. Keep up the good work and post even more pics.

Kudos to you for taking on this project!!
You arent located anywhere around Chicago are you??

Thanks. Those are actually coat welds. The root pass and structural cover pass are under that. Those are just build up put in after cool down so I can grind them and smooth it out so it looks clean from the front. B)

In all honesty from a handling perspoective this should be BETTER than the original gixxer. The suspensions are upgraded, and the frameset it actually better as it's being gusseted for the upgraded suspension. Also, the original 86/87 gixxers were known for scary handling. haha

I'm located in Minneapolis. You in Chitown? When this one is done I was thinking of taking a trip sometime. Chitown would be a nice ride for sure.

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/08/29 22:22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2007 08:17 #167348 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic Engine offset 1/4
Caff-

I like to see nice beaded welds so i say dont grind them down it just looks so much more meaner to see them for some reason. Just my own dumb opinion:)

From a builders stand point what kind of price range is it to brace a frame?? I have always wanted to do this to my 1000 and really would only trust one place around Chicago to do it. But not having any price reference makes me feel rather uninformed so thats why i ask.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
30 Aug 2007 11:26 #167380 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine offset 1/4
id say $400-$500 should get you a decent job depending on how carried away you want to get with it.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
30 Aug 2007 12:35 #167394 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic Engine offset 1/4
Plummen,

you speaking from acutal experience then or guestimating??

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
30 Aug 2007 16:07 #167427 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Engine offset 1/4
From a building standpoint, as in, just materials?

I purchased two 8' sticks of tubing, and with my discount I think it cost me $26.00. So, that's the price. haha

For the work? Whatever they will charge. Personally, I think that $400.00 is WWAAAAAAAY high for this kind of thing.

Then again, when I get my press and notcher going again I'll start making gusset kits and selling them off cheap probably, though that could be a LONG time from now with all this other stuff lined up. haha

I'll definitely consider keeping the welds there though. I may just blast them to clean them up, smooth a bit here and there, and then paint over it.

More
31 Aug 2007 05:35 #167512 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic Engine offset 1/4
caffcruiser wrote:

galaxian wrote:

T

In all honesty from a handling perspoective this should be BETTER than the original gixxer. The suspensions are upgraded, and the frameset it actually better as it's being gusseted for the upgraded suspension. Also, the original 86/87 gixxers were known for scary handling. haha

I'm located in Minneapolis.

So being in the Cities, are you familiar with this bunch?
www.mnsportbikeriders.com/

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
31 Aug 2007 08:36 #167560 by PLUMMEN
actual experiance here in omaha area years ago.it all depends on where you live i guess,its a lot cheaper to do it yourself. me and solomrus did the gusseting on my 1385 this time around so it just cost me materials and some trading on labor.ive got most of the templates made for sheetmetal gussets for z1-kz frames i just need to get ambitious (spell check)to make the last couple templates and run them over to my buddies hvac shop and have him zip a bunch out on their computerized plasma cutter. ;)

More
31 Aug 2007 08:51 #167561 by PLUMMEN
last time i priced the kosman kit it was like $170.00 and figure most welding shops get $50.00-$75.00 an hour its not really hard to get $500.00 into it if youre not connected.i prefer the looks of the sheetmetal braces,but you have to use tubing in certain areas.im gonna guess that between the tubing and the heavy gauge sheetmetal ive got around $20.00 in material but the labor to cut out all the pieces takes a lot,thats why i want to have my friend zip them out with their machine.they get around $80.00 for an hour but it can probably cut out enough pieces to gusset 10 frames in an hour which would definately bring the labor cost down. B)

More
31 Aug 2007 09:55 #167571 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Engine offset 1/4
I think you should be alright with that little offset/weight shift. There is (or was) a company out there that actually made repro Z1 frames that were available with motor offset to allow wider tires, although it looks like you're going the other way. My only concerns would be with chain alignment and tire clearance. Cool project!

*Edit* just checked I believe it actually was Spondon

caffcruiser wrote:

I had to offset to clear the chain and get the mounts in there the way I wanted them.

I don't think that it makes that much difference on this engine and frameset, but I wanted some other opinions.

I know that the newer bikes like R1's are offset from the factory.

Does this little amount matter ya think?

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2007/08/31 12:56

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2007/08/31 13:07

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments:

More
31 Aug 2007 21:07 #167676 by PLUMMEN
dutchz wrote:

I think you should be alright with that little offset/weight shift. There is (or was) a company out there that actually made repro Z1 frames that were available with motor offset to allow wider tires, although it looks like you're going the other way. My only concerns would be with chain alignment and tire clearance. Cool project!

*Edit* just checked I believe it actually was Spondon

caffcruiser wrote:

I had to offset to clear the chain and get the mounts in there the way I wanted them.

I don't think that it makes that much difference on this engine and frameset, but I wanted some other opinions. I know that the newer bikes like R1's are offset from the factory.

Does this little amount matter ya think?

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2007/08/31 12:56<br><br>Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2007/08/31 13:07

im in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: B)i looked on there site,couldnt find pictures but price list said 2500.im afraid to know what it is in dollars!:S but hey a guy can dream right?:P

Post edited by: PLUMMEN, at: 2007/09/01 00:14