kz650 forks

More
18 Aug 2007 21:17 #164783 by genesis
kz650 forks was created by genesis
I have a 78 kz650. one of the forks is leaking, so obviously needs new seals. I have a couple questions. is there anything else I should fix while putting in new seals? what forks will fit off new bikes, if I decide to go that route? I appreciate any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2007 05:44 #164818 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kz650 forks
What else is broken?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Aug 2007 07:59 #164827 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic kz650 forks
If you're just looking to "freshen up" the front end while replacing the oil seals, my suggestion would be to replace the OEM roller bearings and races with a Tapered steering bearing and seal kit .
The OEM steering bearings have a tendency to get pounded into the races from driving on rough roads and hitting potholes over time, and will leave "dimples" in the races that will cause a "notch" in how the steering feels when turning.
To test if the races are notched, elevate the front wheel slightly off the ground, then slowly turn the handlebars from side-to-side. If it feels like the wheel loosely "locks" into position facing straight forward, then the races are notched.

Even if the steering turns freely, those are 20+ year old bearings/races/seals there. Upgrading to the tapered bearings will give you the comfort of knowing they're new, plus they help the bike steer/handle better. They're only $36 (plus shipping), and you can install them yourself with simple tools while you're having the seals replaced.
Even if you're replacing the fork oil seals yourself, this is a simple weekend (or one day depending on your mechanical ability and available tools) task.

And while you have the front wheel off, it sure couldn't hurt to examine the wheel bearings and seals to see if they're also in need of replacement, or at least being repacked with grease. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ