tires and chain reccomendations

More
09 Jul 2007 18:27 #155781 by udder
tires and chain reccomendations was created by udder
i currently have a 78 100o ltd that only has pods and a 4-1 for modifications. what do you guys reccomend for a rear tire? running stock rims ( shoot me i didnt look to see what size is on it now). another question is the chain i currently have has a tight spot right at the master link. if i have the bike up enough to spin the tire by hand it gets tight to turn when the master link is on the sprocket bot from and rear. i have lubed it well tonight and will do again tomarrow to see of that helps. any suggestions there as well. the master is just like a regualr machinery master link with a backing plate and a clip. ( telling yall this cuz i dont know if diff types of chain have diff styles of master links or connecters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2007 04:08 #155862 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Dude, don't bother. I asked the same question a couple of days ago (tire sizes on stock rims) and got 1x reply of "sounds close." :unsure:

I think the forum is dead, cause this is a very basic question that should be found in an "already been discussed at nauseam" sticky topic.

Post edited by: circusnuts, at: 2007/07/10 09:06

More
10 Jul 2007 04:53 #155870 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Udder, I can't help you with the tire size cos I have a 650. But, with the chain, if it is binding that bad, I would recommend replacing it, especially being at the master link with a clip. You DO NOT want that coming off a speed on the road. I get 90% of my parts a z1enterprises.com good prices and quick delivery.

circusnuts,,, love the name :laugh: , people must not have seen you post or you would have gotten answers. It help if you put your bike year and model and your location in your sig line as udder did. That way we always know what bike we are talking about and if there is someone in your area they can offer you hands on help. ;) ;)
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
10 Jul 2007 05:33 #155883 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic tires and chain reccomendations
udder wrote:

...have a 78 100o ltd...what do you guys reccomend for a rear tire? running stock rims...tight spot right at the master link...lubed it well tonight and will do again tomarrow to see of that helps... master link with a backing plate and a clip.

Dunlop specifies 1978 KZ1000LTD tire sizes as MM90-19 front and MT90B16 rear. Also has RWL available. These sizes are sold by many different suppliers in many different brands at varying prices.

Would recommend Z1Enterprises as good source for replacement chain and sprockets.

May get comprehensive info on these subjects by using the "search forum" box.

Tire choices are sometimes based on subjective reasons. I enjoy the looks of Dunlop RWL on the LTD, but run BW Bridgestone Spitfires on the Z1. Am well satisfied with performance of either, and believe other brands may be equally good.

Meanwhile, there is a plethora of opinions on the forum regarding tires and/or chains. Enjoy the reading. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Jul 2007 06:08 #155890 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Will do. I'm just stiring the pot. :lol:

Thank you
Phil

More
10 Jul 2007 07:53 #155905 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Dude, there are still some good tire options available in these sizes. I have had an '80 LTD 1000 and currently have an '82 LTD 1000, and I ordered Dunlop 404's in the 5.10x16 rear and 110/90 19 front. I ordered them from www.americanmototire.com/ for a great price.

These are the UJM cruiser bike tires and work well, they are also stock on new Harley Davidson's (401 and 402 part numbers with H-D raised white lettering, costs $30 more per tire for it).

They work well, wear well and are a very good bias-ply tubeless tire.

More
10 Jul 2007 10:14 #155943 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic tires and chain reccomendations
I recommend the dunlop D404.

Great f-in tire cheap.

More
10 Jul 2007 11:20 #155960 by aarons80kz650
Replied by aarons80kz650 on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Hi, I was just recently in search of tires myself. Advice I was givin from fellow KZ enthusiasts is replace tires in a set so the performance is matched. I shopped around online for a while and then wondered about mounting and ballancing. I went to a local independent bike shop (Recycled Cycles, in Hayden Idaho) that works on all types of bikes. They were very helpful in choosing the correct tires for my riding style at a price almost identicle to what I found online. Mounting was free if I brought in the rims. Otherwise it was 20$ per tire. So my advice is make friends with a local shop.

As for the Chain. I use one with a clip as well. I've worked in an industrial environment for 12 years and have not seen a chain come apart for no reason. Maybe it happens but I think that could happen to any type of chain. Always what I have seen is a chain failure is due to age or caused by another problem. Proper maintenance is the key, when you oil your chain give it the once over so you know what condition it is in. As for getting tight when the master link rolls around the sprocket. I have to agree with others that is not right. A master link should have the same dimmensions as any other link and perform as the rest of the chain. At very least get a new master, or whole new chain.

More
10 Jul 2007 12:07 #155973 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic tires and chain reccomendations
The master link has to be matched to the chain. You CAN NOT use a master link from another chain and put it on a different manufacture. Manufactures must be the same. Even if the chain size is the same, the link is different. I ran into this with my ATV. I had to order a master link from the original chain manufacturer that I had on the bike to begin with.I tried using the same size master from a different manufacture and it binded.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Jul 2007 12:45 #155985 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Udder, I am having the same problem you described, with my chain binding in several places, not just the masterlink. When I removed the clutch cover, I also found several little "O" rings stuck in the accumulated grease inside the cover. Obviously, these had been thrown from the chain.

So I decided to replace my chain and sprockets. I am going to convert everything from 630 to 530, which is commonly recommended by many on this site. With the conversion, you get lighter weight, more HP to the wheel, lower cost, and more tooth-count options on the sprockets.

Ordered everything from Z1E and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/07/10 15:46

West Linn, OR

More
11 Jul 2007 17:08 #156243 by udder
Replied by udder on topic tires and chain reccomendations
thanks a bunch for all the great suggestions fellas. what a good group of fellas. as for the tires looks like i may go the 404 dunlop route. as for my chain problem, i took it off and found that the master link was the only source for the binding problem. the chain must have been too tight at one time and the thru holes on the front plate and backing plate are both elongated which lets it pretty much do what ever it wants either gain slack or get taught. of course the local harley guy doesnt have any 620 masters go looks like a road trip or a special order as im not funded currently for the 520 changeover that a lot of you have done so ill replace the link if i can and finish out this riding season with it. next i need to find the manufacturer of the chain so im off with an old tooth brush and some cleaner to see if i can clean a spot off to figure it out. thanks again guys keep up the good work ;)
ok so it was a quickie the chain says rk630 and below that is s o any ideas?

Post edited by: udder, at: 2007/07/11 20:15

More
11 Jul 2007 20:37 #156279 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic tires and chain reccomendations
Sounds like a brand RK 630 chain. RK makes a good chain. I have my recommendations and they kind of sway 180 degrees from what other guys say. I would stay with 630 chain. Don't know exactly why I guess but that's the way the bike was made and why go downhill in specs. I guess modern 530 is a strong chain, but 630 is stronger yet, and I would bet that for any given chain a 630 will outlast a 530 if for no other reason the links are slightly longer and that would equate to less links turning over the sprockets each mile riding hence less wear. I could very well be wrong in my thinking, but that's the way my mind is set anyway :P
As to tires, you'll see Dunlop 404s are a very reasonably priced tire. This is not because Dunlop just wants to be generous and sell tires cheap to help us all out I'm afraid. They are an OK tire, nothing more. There are a lot better tires to be found that I'd recommend but they may cost $100 a tire. Dunlop 501, Avon, Metzler, Continental will all be a 200% more secure tire but cost more. Is the cost worth it? If you figure for an example 6000 mile life out of a set of tires a $150 set of tires cost about 2.5 cents per mile to run where a $250 set of tires cost a little over 4 cents a mile. Is a measly penny a mile worth spending for better tires that may save tumbling down the road at 65 mph? I ran the 404s and they were downright scary. I'd say the penny a mile is the best investment I've done in a long, long time.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.