Removing countershaft sprocket nut

More
20 May 2007 09:03 #141701 by OKC_Kent
Removing countershaft sprocket nut was created by OKC_Kent
I'm having a hard time getting the sprocket nut off. I used red loctite when I replaced the chain and sprockets two years ago, as the tabbed washer would not fit the new sprocket.

Now I'm repacing the whole setup and can't get the nut to budge. I have soaked it in PB Blaster, used propane torch heat and nothing moves. Can I use more heat to degrade the loctite? I didn't get the nut glowing red, is that required?

Do I go with my 1/2" breaker and 4-6 ft of pipe with more heat? Is that setup big enough to break it free?

I have used a 3/4" socket ratchet wrench with heat and a short pipe, and maybe a longer pipe on the end will help, but I think the ratchet wrench will break.

Or buying an electric impact wrench but from searches in the archives the common 250 pound electric wrenches are useless on this nut. I do not have a compressor or else I would borrow some big guns from work.

One last option is to carefully ride the bike to work and do it all there, but there is no more adjustment left in the chain, and it has too much slack now. The last thing I want to do is throw a chain and wreck.

I don't want to cut the nut with the dremel, so it's the last option.

What to do, what to do...

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 May 2007 09:15 #141709 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
red lock tite is really tough stuff try and concentrate the heat on the nut,not the shaft so you dont heat up the seal too much.try using mapp gas it burns a lot hotter than propane and get a longer pipe.;)

More
20 May 2007 09:20 #141714 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
wireman is right, it will take about 300 deg, to make it liquid, you dont meed to put that much on it, just get it good and warm put some wet rags on the back side to keep it from getting too hot

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 May 2007 09:44 #141727 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
OK, I'll try the little brazing torch setup I have with MAPP/Oxygen tanks, I forgot I had it until you said MAPP gas.

Wet rags might be hard to stuff around the back of the sprocket, maybe I can remove that guard first.

Thanks guys.

Oklahoma City, OK

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 May 2007 10:13 #141736 by wireman
the mapp gas will heat a lot faster than propane so there wont be as much heat transfered to the shaft and seal from having to keep the torch on there;)

More
20 May 2007 11:25 #141745 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
I had to remove a 2 1/2" nut from the end of a hydraulic cylinder shaft to replace the shaft. Had to heat the nut cherry red, and use a 3' pipe wrench with a 4' cheater bar to break it loose. That Loctite is some tough stuff :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
20 May 2007 11:50 #141748 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
steell wrote:

I had to remove a 2 1/2" nut from the end of a hydraulic cylinder shaft to replace the shaft. Had to heat the nut cherry red, and use a 3' pipe wrench with a 4' cheater bar to break it loose. That Loctite is some tough stuff :woohoo:

Mmmm, trying to scare me know, eh?:blink: I'm hoping a 20mm nut doesn't need the strength of Hercules to twist off. It's funny how these things can spin off while your're riding on the freeway, but stick it in your garage and it needs a stick of dynamite to do get anywhere.

It may take me a few days to get to, I'll post back with what worked for me.

Oklahoma City, OK

More
20 May 2007 12:39 #141752 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
Most neighborhood tire repair shops use a powerful air impact wrench on lugnuts. If nearby, might ride over (carry the proper size sprocket) and ask for a favor. Tip him $5 and replace it just snug enough to ride back home. :)

If they say GFY, just ride back home. :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 May 2007 18:48 #141854 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
Maybe a 250 Ft/lb wont budge it. Use a higher rated impact tool. They go up to 1000ft/lb or more on air. I just changed my chain and sprockets, thank the Lord for the right tools, not going to do it with pliers.;)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 May 2007 19:18 #141861 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
I was lucky nuff to have a next door neighbor that has a big compressor and air tools in his garage. The sprocket nut came off in a quick hurry. It truly is the right tool for the job.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
20 May 2007 20:29 #141879 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Removing countershaft sprocket nut
At the shop I have 1/2", 3/4" and 1" air impacts, but the hardest thing to use (and it will hurt you) is my 3/8" air ratchet, that sucker is just hard to hang on to :D

I was at a job site repairing a broken Bobcat in the post above, and it was about 100 miles from the shop, so I did what I had to, to get the job done :)

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 May 2007 20:57 #141886 by wireman
gotta watch those 3/4" impacts.many years ago back when i still liked working on anything with wheels i would do the service work for a few guys i know locally who drive trucks over the road i also worked on my uncles fleet of drywall/boom trucks.anyway i was changing the oil on one of those big monsters one day and the drain plug wouldnt budge even with a breaker bar(if youve never seen the drain plug on a 3406 cat,ask steell!:blink: )anyway the young rocket scientist i was at the time decides to try out the shiny new impact wrench and sockets the snap on guy convinced me i needed to have.not knowing what all those fancy settings were for i decided to put it on and just tap it once,it worked allright zipped right past loosen to right out on ground follow by what seemed 3-4 gallons of nasty ass rotella -t oil down my shirt,down my pants and everywhere besides the big freakin pan i was using!if you have never smelled nasty used diesel oil,just ask steell!!!!!!!!!:P