\"floating 400\"

More
11 Apr 2007 11:11 #128820 by Booncha57
\"floating 400\" was created by Booncha57
my friend has a '75(i think) kz400 and when ive ridden it, it feels a little scary at times. i notice that it feels almost as though the swing arm is attached to a swivel or something. its very hard to describe. when coasting to a light sometimes it even feels as though you have to switch your weight around to keep it up right. going into turns it feels the same way, like it has a strange pivot to it in the rear. at least i think its the rear. he says hes never felt it but i feel it every time i ride it. he said that hes had the rear off the ground and the swing arm is solid but it sure doesnt feel like it when im on it. if anyone has any idea what im talking about please respond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 11:26 #128825 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic \"floating 400\"
Hmmm.

Not a lot of hard details to go by there.

Given the symptoms, I'd take a long, hard look at the swingarm bushings and rear axle assembly regardless of your friend's opinion of the swingarm. :huh:

The other likely possibility is the neck bearings. If they're "original", what's left of them might be about enough to fill a shot glass. :whistle:

Either way, I'd take it easy on that bird until you figure out where the problem is. ;)

More
11 Apr 2007 11:27 #128826 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic \"floating 400\"
Might be as simple as low pressure in the rear tire. Maybe the front too.
Another reason might be a mis-aligned rear tire. When you tighten the chain, you have to move the rear wheel, and it can get crooked. Don't use the little hash marks on the rear frame, they're not accurate. You should measure the distance to the adjusting bracket on each side.
Once it's straight, then adjust the chain tension by making quarter-turn increments of the adjusting bolt, on both sides. Make sure you tighening in the right direction on BOTH sides (don't ask).

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
11 Apr 2007 12:39 - 20 Feb 2013 18:52 #128844 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 18:52 by H1Vindicator.

More
11 Apr 2007 14:26 #128877 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic woozy steering
Check the air pressure. A bike tire might look fine, but the stiff sidewalls conceal low pressure.

Put the bike on the center stand. Disconnect the rear shocks at the swingarm and lift the wheel clear of the ground, then try to push it sideways back and forth. Any play in either the swingarm or wheel at the axle is an indication of trouble.

Reconnect the shocks. While someone is sitting on the back of the seat to get the front wheel off the ground, grab the forks at the axle and try to pull and push the fork to ascertain play. Again, there shouldn't be any.

Even if you don't find any obvioous problems, it is time to replace 32 year-old axle bearings. Lubrication in them is probably non-existant by now.