Swingarms

More
12 Dec 2005 06:29 #12728 by mikekz900
Swingarms was created by mikekz900
In the classifieds(under motorcycle patrs) section of this forum there is someone selling extended swingarms. My question is does anyone know anything about this person? Is it the real deal or is it a scam. They come in a variety of lenghts for $350.00! There use to be someone selling somthing similar to this on dragbike.com, but then they disappeared. Didn't know if anyone ever bought one or knows anything about this person?
Thanks, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2005 10:10 #12746 by dnyce
Replied by dnyce on topic Swingarms
i think that guys name is larry, if it is, some1 here got one, and was real happy with it. who it was i dont remember

More
12 Dec 2005 18:34 #12842 by wireguy
Replied by wireguy on topic Swingarms
i personally prefer aluminum swingarms they are really beefy and look gooodddddd all polished up!those ones on the classified are chrome-moly i think theyre o.k,ive seen bend towards the drivechain on really hi-horse engines,unless you get a club-man type with the extra outboard bracing.if its just gonna be a street bike it shouldnt be a problem .have you thought about a gs1100 swingarm?they are 2"over out of the box,and you can squeeze another inch out of it by sliding the wheel back in the adjusters.if you look on ebay you might be able to find a calfab swingarm.ive got one more but its got a date with my 75Z1!hope this helps,Happy wrenching!

More
12 Dec 2005 20:48 #12879 by Z-MAN
Replied by Z-MAN on topic Swingarms
I got one from him. Qaulity arm and hardware. I am fitting a ZX7 wheel with a 190 tire. Great guy to talk to, full of info. He is building a air shock system that is a takeoff of a the softtail settup with the shocks under the frame.

More
13 Dec 2005 08:36 #12946 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic Swingarms
Thanks for the replies,
I too prefer the aluminum swingarms, but at the prices some of these people want for them it's a little hard for me to swing right now! I was really considering a Trac arm but couldn't justify the cost. The other reason I'm trying to save some money is that I want to keep the spokes for the classic look, but relace it with a wider rim on the stock hub keeping the drum brake.This will be expensive. I know not all will like this look just something I've grown attached too. The bike is mainly street, but I do want to make some passes on it. When I was pulling on a Hayabusa(I'm not scared of any plastic fantastic)a couple of months ago that little 130/90/18 tire was screaming for dear life as I was dancing around to keep the bike straight I then realized that I need a bigger tire. Plus I love the extended look! I have considered a gs arm just don't think it will provide enough room for that much larger of a tire.

Mike

76 kz900
1075 kit
A lot of port work.
Norris Cams
29 smoothbores
dyna s /dyna coils
star pipe love it loud.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/04/09 15:52

More
13 Dec 2005 15:49 #13011 by wireguy
thats the 55chevy of motorcycles folks!i love the wire wheels too,have you thought about a kz1000 hub/rear brake or atleast a double front disk?if you put a 130/140 on a little wider rim it would give it a little more footprint and will still fit inside a gs1100 swingarm!that 1075 with a 900 crank is mean combo,im doing a 75z1 with the 900 crank and 1197(8:1)topend with a turbo,cuz i hate hi-ya-moosas too!happy wrenching!

More
13 Dec 2005 15:53 #13013 by wireguy
are those continentals on there?front tire looks like conti-blitz

More
13 Dec 2005 16:18 #13025 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Swingarms
mikekz900: I agree with you, wire wheels look cool. That's why I upgraded my old DID rims and SS spokes (2.15"X19", 3.0"X18") to much wider Excel 17" rims and SS spokes (3.50"X17", 4.25"X17") and Avon radial tires, along with an '82 Suzuki GS1100E swingarm.

More
13 Dec 2005 16:21 #13028 by mikekz900
Hey Wireguy,

Yes I've thought about the dual front disc, I haven't done it yet because I have polished both hubs(front and back) and they shine so nice that I didn't want to cover up all my hard work. Plus Id have to send another caliper out to have it chromed too. I will do it in the future though! Yes the front tire is a conti-blitz, and it's been a good tire so far. Now the back is some old p.o.s. Dunlop that I didn't want to change yet do to the swingarm/ rim upgrade. Figured I'd just do it all at once. The tire was like brand new about a 1000 miles ago and now is almost bald, but hooking a little better. What size rim is a good size to go with on a gs arm and what year gs arms are everyone using?
Mike

More
13 Dec 2005 16:52 #13031 by mikekz900
Hey BOB,

When I do replace the rim I will be doing a 17 there are a lot more performance tires to choose from.. Do you have any pics of the swingarm/ wheel upgrade on your bike?
Mike

More
13 Dec 2005 20:10 #13064 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Swingarms
I'm working on the rear end of my '73 Z1-900 bike right now: a 4 mm offset Klasmo countershaft sprocket and 4 mm offset Klasmo spacer for a '78 KZ1000 rear hub, '82 GS1100E swingarm, and Works Performance shocks (ordered), 160 X 17" Avon radial tire.

Rear end issues on the '73-'75 Z1-900 and '76 KZ900:
I kept that part of the '73 Z1-900 frame that supports the passenger peg and also, originally, the right pair of Z1 mufflers -- I usually see this part of the frame cut off by other constructors because it interferes with the GS1100E swingarm, but I just trimmed that part of the frame to make it all work. Fitment of this Suzuki swingarm to a '77-'78 KZ1000 frame is a snap however, not sure about '79-'80 KZ1000s since I've not worked on them, but I'd bet these two model years would be like the '77-'78 KZ1000s.

In the URL below, you'll see pictures of both 17" wheels on Avon radial tires and you'll also see the completed front wheel on the stock forks (well, not quite stock '73 forks, they are hybrid '73-Z1/'76 KZ900/'76 KZ650 forks). Photos of the rear will be taken when I complete this task. Getting that Klasmo front fender to work on that 17" Excel front wheel and forks was a pain (in the ...), but it sure looks great.

Warning: I found out that these 17" wheels now provide problems with wheel removal. Now I see why you ususally find 18" wheels and radials used in such an effort. The only way to remove the front wheel is to remove the inner brake pad from each caliper and then compress each caliper piston, thus providing enough clearance to remove the caliper from the fork (there is insufficient space with a 17" rim to remove the caliper). Same problem with the '78 KZ1000 rear disc brake caliper that I'm fitting, but I think I can avoid the problem on the rear by used a sufficiently long SS brake line (which I've yet to purchase) that will allow the whole rear wheel to be removed from the GS1100E swingarm, after which I can remove the rear disc and rear caliper almost as a unit.

photobucket.com/albums/y56/bohicabob/Z1%...=view&slideshow=true

More
14 Dec 2005 04:17 #13079 by Russ
Replied by Russ on topic Swingarms
As well as a Z1000J I also have an 83 Katana 1000 which has the same aluminium swingarm as the GS1100, I've put in a GSXR 17"x5.5" rim with a 170/60 tyre, you can fit a 180 in there but can only use the rear half of the chain adjustment. The only mod I made to the swingarm was chamfer the bracing on the inside at 45 degrees for a bit more tyre clearance.