Swingarms

More
14 Dec 2005 06:15 #13097 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic Swingarms
Thanks for all the info Bob,

So the interference problems with the rear pegs can be avoided with just a trim? I would like to keep them if possible(this would make my wife happy, ok I lie me happy I now have a hard time getting her to ride with me haha). I also love tread styles that come on the avon tires. So the 82 gs1100E is the way to go then? I'm pretty sure the salvage place has several gs swingarms to choose from. In using this arm will I just have to have some spacers made(at pivot point) along with shock mounts and rear drum brake arm correct?
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2005 06:24 #13100 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Swingarms
If your wife is willing to ride on that seat, she MUST love you bwhahaha

As far as the GS1100 swingarm, aren't the shocks clevis type?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Dec 2005 16:49 #13217 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Swingarms
Yes, the GS1100E swingarm uses clevis shock mounts.

You can have spacers made, or go to ACE Hardware with a vernier dial caliper in hand and find a combination of washers that fit the bill.

The rear drum brake torque link mount is located on the bottom of the Z1's and KZ900's stock swingarm, whereas the GS1100E swingarm has a tab welded on the top of the swingarm for a rear disc brake torque link. If you kept the stock rear drum brake, you'd have to weld tab on the bottom of the GS1100E swingarm.

Yes, trimming the two passenger peg/muffler supports will work, but note that it will require a bit of effort and some bondo work to make it look good.