18 hours to bargain?

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2007 16:05 #124422 by KaZooCruiser
18 hours to bargain? was created by KaZooCruiser
Been reading about shock conversion on these older bikes. Mine has a 13.5. So I see Harley takeoffs and one in particular where it is mispelled wrong, so bidding isn't probably going anywhere. I found it because I mispelled it wrong TOO. (Can't win by being wrong all the time, but maybe two wrongs make a great deal in this case, but I digress)

Anyone who has done this conversion, I would like to know how much better the bike rides.

I can't take my shocks apart unless I drive out a roll pin, and I wanted to compress the springs to test the shock dampener, but the ratchet strap idea won't work for me. If I can get newer shocks for .99 and shipping, I will spend more on buying hose clamps to test old stuff than may be worth it.

I guess I am trying to find out if the 13.5 Sportster shock is resilient enough for the lighter 650.

So time is short for this deal, and maybe I definatly will need shocks when I get this figured out, but in the meantime, knowledge is real power.

Clue me in.

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 16:11 #124425 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic 18 hours to bargain?
jeezes, i don't know.
maybe you should put the auction # up so we can check it out :evil:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
28 Mar 2007 18:16 - 20 Feb 2013 19:07 #124443 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 19:07 by H1Vindicator.

More
29 Mar 2007 08:06 #124592 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic 18 hours to bargain?
I have them on my 77 650 and the only problem you will have is the bushings will have to be pressed out of the old shocks and into the new ones. You will also have to either grind the bottom of the Sportster shocks for width or spread the part on the swingarm to accept them.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

• KaZooCruiser
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2007 10:09 #124907 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic 18 hours to bargain?
letthegoodtimesroll wrote:

I have them on my 77 650 and the only problem you will have is the bushings will have to be pressed out of the old shocks and into the new ones...

How did you press the bushings in and out?

I went ahead and placed bids on the relabled / retitled / respelled correctly (drat, double drat) shocks. $10.01, up from .99 cents, still a bargain. Holy harley shockomoles, Batman.

:lol:

More
10 Apr 2007 21:40 #128702 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic 18 hours to bargain?
To press the bushings out you get a socket smaller than the shock eye, (remember it is hourglass shaped, narrower in the middle), a socket or piece of pipe the size of the outer shock eye, and a good sized bench vise. You put the sockets on each side of the eyes, and squeeze the whole thing in the vise. The smaller socket forces the bushing out into the piece of pipe as you squeeze it.
To install the bushing use the vise only.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
11 Apr 2007 11:12 #128821 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic 18 hours to bargain?
The sportster shocks work great on my 750s. Use a little soapy water or armourall to lube the bushings when you press them in or out. Or maybe some "personal lubricant".

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.