Help with my steering

More
13 Jan 2007 16:20 #105470 by kzwolfsr
Help with my steering was created by kzwolfsr
I have been riding my bike and everytime I turned the handlebar, it felt like it was locking up but it would click then turn. I checked to see if the steering lock was stuck somewhere in there but it wasn't. It seems to clicke when I turn it from left to right and somewhere right in the middle, straight ahead, it would have this click. Would this be bearings? It doesn't have the pattern of bad bearings, the way how it clicks in that one area. Any insight? 81 Kz1000

Post edited by: kzwolfsr, at: 2007/01/13 19:21

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Jan 2007 16:57 #105475 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help with my steering
prop up front end of bike and try it with no weight on frontend,lot safer than road testing.have you checked all your cablrs for slack?;)

More
13 Jan 2007 17:11 #105476 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Help with my steering
I've done it while it was in the parking lot but I pinpointed where the stiffness is at a stand still. I haven't put it on the centerstand to try it as yet, never thought of that, but I checked to see if it was my clutch cable but I didnt see anything binding. I will try it on the stand and that way I should have more hands free to check.

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
13 Jan 2007 19:15 #105503 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Help with my steering
kzwolfsr wrote:

...it felt like it was locking up but it would click then turn...

"Click"?
That's a bit unusual for bearings. I mean, the way you describe it, everything but the "click" could be the bearings. But the bearings don't really have anything that would click, if they are stock. The races are too solid, and I don't think the balls would click against them even if bone-dry.
Definitely get it up on the center stand and check it out.

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
13 Jan 2007 20:23 #105515 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Help with my steering
The Grease gets old and get hard in the steering stem bearings ,This is common on some lighter Honda Bikes I have owned , You can clean and inspect them or replace ( Make sure you check the bearing races too ) them with either stock or Tapered bearings ,, Might check with Jeff at Z1-E

More
14 Jan 2007 06:41 #105543 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Help with my steering
I remember reading or hearing about this problem a few years back, but can't find any info.
It it caused by some wear in the bearings or races I believe.
Definetly should be inspected and fixed. Replacing the bearings to tappered roller bearings should be considered.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
14 Jan 2007 11:52 #105586 by rtg
Replied by rtg on topic Help with my steering
kzwolf.sometimes, whena front end collision has occurred, the impact causes the ball bearings to dent the inside of the bearing race and hence the resultant click or hesitation.take off triple clamp, inspect top bearings and bearing race as well..

rtg

More
14 Jan 2007 19:20 #105683 by kzwolfsr
I will check all that stuff when the weather warms up. My bikes are outside in the cold. If I had a garage I would be sleeping with my bikes, one on each side....aaaaaawwwwwwwwwww

More
14 Jan 2007 21:07 #105717 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Help with my steering
Instead of bikes on each side I get Westies (West Highland Terriers) diving under the bed covers to sleep on either side of me. Little white doggie heaters. Keeps me warm though. Hey has anyone ever taught their dog to ride on the KZ? My dogs love to ride in the car as all dogs do and Peabody would like it on the bike I think.

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
15 Jan 2007 15:58 #105889 by kzwolfsr
Peabody? Lol! I've seen people ride with those little dogs in their jacket. Check those animal custom shops or get one of those baby harnesses, where people carry their babies like back packs. Hey! I had a technical question on here! What am I doing?

More
15 Jan 2007 18:10 #105951 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Help with my steering
I have fond memories of watching Bullwinkle cartoons in my carefree youth and one was a cartoon of a dog..a really smart one name Mr Peabody.And Sherman.Thats who our dog is named after.20 lbs of scrapping terrier who tried to take out a a neighbors pitbull.Damn near got killed but he gave it a helluva shot.I was thinking of starting him riding strapped in a milk crate if he will tolerate it..

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
16 Jan 2007 13:01 #106107 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Help with my steering
kzwolfsr wrote:

I have been riding my bike and everytime I turned the handlebar, it felt like it was locking up but it would click then turn. I checked to see if the steering lock was stuck somewhere in there but it wasn't. It seems to clicke when I turn it from left to right and somewhere right in the middle, straight ahead, it would have this click. Would this be bearings? It doesn't have the pattern of bad bearings, the way how it clicks in that one area. Any insight? 81 Kz1000<br><br>Post edited by: kzwolfsr, at: 2007/01/13 19:21

How many miles are on the chassis? Not that it really matters, the bike is 25 years old, probably with 25 year old flattened ball bearings and dented races from road shock. (yes, they can and saometimes do flatten and dent in only one area) Do this, have someone sit on the rear of the seat while it is on the centerstand, and rock the handlebar back and forth to check for binding; with the weight of the bike off the forks, you probably won't feel much in any case. While still in the air, go around to the front of the bike and pull the wheel towards you to check the forks for free play. If you have any, plan on replacing the bearings once you tighten it out and find that you now have notchy steering. I had the same symptoms with my 650 and took it to the bike shop, where I was told that the repair for 25 year old bikes is to remove the triple tree, remove all the old hardware, drop in a $50.00 set of tapered roller bearings, and reassemble everything with fresh grease. Good advice from someone who doesn't want to see cadavers/cripples due to safety related negligence.

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/01/16 16:07