New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD

More
10 Jan 2007 11:56 #104742 by conpewter
New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD was created by conpewter
Last weekend I drove into Chicago and bought a KZ750 LTD from a guy there. It runs pretty well once it's warmed up but has it's own difficulties. I've been lurking on the forums here a little bit looking for info.

Basically the first round of fixes for this bike are

1. Take apart and clean the back brake system. I've not done anything before with this stuff. I think I'll need a rebuild kit for both the calipers and the back master cylinder (will need to find that)

2. Remove the ferring on front and get it back to a more original look. Will need headlight bracket, turn singles and ?... Not positive of all I'll run into here.

3. In conjunction with above, fix electrical system to make the turn singles work. Currently left or right just come on and stay on when switch is toggled to them. (all bulbs seem to light up, so not because they are burned out) And strangely... Hazard lights only blink the left turn singles.

4. Remove the sissy bar on back... should be easy

I'll try to get pictures up too and keep everyone up to date on my progress. I'm going to start with the back brakes as that's what makes this bike undrivable at this time. Anyone know a good guide to brakes? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2007 12:52 #104755 by Draco
Replied by Draco on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
Welcome to the nuthouse!:P
Plenty of useful info here. (And TONS of useless info too!)
Do you live in Illinois?

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
10 Jan 2007 13:08 #104762 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
Any and all parts you need can be found at www.z1enterprises.com The owner, Jeff Saunders, is a member here and a lot of us buy our stuff from him. His prices are great, and he's very helpful!

The deal with your turn signals is probably the flasher. It's just like what your car uses, available at your nearest auto parts store for about a buck.

You'll want to get a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike.

You didn't mention what year your bike is or whether it's a twin or a four cylinder. We're going to want to see some photos of your bike muy pronto!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but you might want to use the search function before you do. It'll save you a lot of time and effort...

Have fun!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
10 Jan 2007 13:10 #104765 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
I guess the first thing is Welcome brother. Next is you really ought to get a service manual.Lots of good info in it. You have to have it. Check here up above here in the KZ info filebase. You can look thru the general non model specific stuff or the 750 stuff. You don't mention if it is a twin or a four. good idea to put your year and model and location in your signature so members close by can help or make a new riding buddy. Like Draco there...he's a helluva painter.:woohoo: :woohoo:

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
10 Jan 2007 13:32 #104775 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
Thank you all for the welcome. I've updated my sig, sorry I forgot to mention that info. Tis a 1980 KZ750 four cylinder. From pictures the LTD looks much different than the other KZ750s even of the same year. I hope it won't be hard to find parts for.

I'll use that tip on the search feature, most of the older forums I'm on... that doesn't work so well.

Also to set the record straight, I bought a clymer manual for the bike off e-bay and just received it yesterday, so I haven't had time to look through it much.

I'll be looking up all my issues there. I've used a Clymer manual before with my old bike and did not feel any need for a factory service manual, would you still recommend one?

I'll look into that flasher...

I've read a lot of posts about switching out the Brake's MC for one off a newer model, I'll have to get into mine and see what it's like to figure if that's a good idea in this case.

More
10 Jan 2007 14:22 #104790 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
welcome, welcome. No scarcity of parts for the LTDs out there. I've got 2 1981 models myself. I got a whole second bike as parts, but it was in such good shape I couldn't stand to take it apart.
There are many cosmetic differences between the standard 750s and the LTDs, but most everything mechanical is interchangable. Besides, if you see sumpin ya likes, make it fit:evil:

More
11 Jan 2007 10:33 #104929 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
I concur with wirewulf -- parts are easy to find, since the LTD model (KZ750H) was more popular than the Std (KZ750E), and most mechanical parts cross over anyway. In fact, many of the electrical and mechanical parts cross over to the other KZs too. For example, the brake pads cross over to those used on the police models (KZ1000P) through the 1990's. With all of those on the road still, I do not see routine wear parts being a problem. I understand that stock bore rings and pistons are hard to find if you want to get new for a rebuild. I don't know for sure yet, since I haven't had to face that issue. There is a wisco big bore 810 kit (pistons and rings) that could solve that problem so long as you are willing to have the boring done to your engine.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
11 Jan 2007 11:32 #104950 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
What made you think you have to rebuild the rear brakes? I did that fairing off construction already,and it stinks

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Jan 2007 10:52 #105192 by conpewter
Currently the back brake sticks on when you use it. The guy I bought it from told me it probably needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I figure while I'm doing that I should use a rebuild kit and make it as good as possible (though the brake lines still seem good so I'll continue to use them)

As for the fairing I have ordered some parts but not sure what all I'll need. I got turn singals, and side mount universal fit Headlight brackets from Z1. I don't know if I can use the headlight bucket that is on the fairing or not, and what else I'll run in to electronically. Since you've done one of these re-conversions have any tips?

Thanks,
Dave

More
12 Jan 2007 10:52 #105193 by conpewter
doublepost

Post edited by: conpewter, at: 2007/01/12 14:40

More
12 Jan 2007 11:06 #105199 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
For your sticking back brake, before you tear into the brake system check to see if the brake pedal pivot is moving freely. My brake pedal was sticking, and worked fine after I removed the pedal and pivot from the mounting bracket, and used some emory paper to get rid of the accumulated crud and corrosion on the pivot axle and inside the pivot axle bore. Then I cleaned it off with WD40 and put in a little wheel bearing grease. It works great now. Took about 15 minutes.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
12 Jan 2007 11:26 #105201 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic New to KZRider, working on a KZ750 LTD
The brake on my bike stuck at first when I bought it to restore but after a good teardown and cleaning they were fine, no kits required. Brake hoses had some crusty chunks in there and I made sure to replace those though.

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts