Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

battery 21 Nov 2005 12:40 #9401

• froggy
  • froggy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ive got two extra batteries can these be refilled and recharged do stores sell sulferic acid and wat is the fill instruction or water to acid ratio any one done this before with success ??????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

battery 21 Nov 2005 12:47 #9403

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 297
Since new batteries cannot be purchased and moved by most shippers (e.g. UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc) full of acid, they are dry shipped. You have to find an automotive battery outlet and they will fill the battery for you. If I read your post correctly, you have two used batteries that dried up? You will have marginal luck resurrecting these batteries by refilling with acid...try with distilled water and charging them...but they are probably shot.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:00 #9406

• froggy
  • User
yes they are used batteries why wouldnt refilling with acid work if u got to fill a empty new battery with acid whats the differnce and how would filling with distilled water work better than acid im not trying to be sarcastic just need a little clarification

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:03 #9409

• froggy
  • User
yes they are used batteries why wouldnt refilling with acid work if u got to fill a empty new battery with acid whats the differnce and how would filling with distilled water work better than acid im not trying to be sarcastic just need a little clarification

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:05 #9411

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
The material that is left in the battery (besides the obvious plates) are the solids that remained after evaporation. By adding just water, you recreate an acid as these solids go back into solution. Which is why, when batteries are low, we add water to them, not more acid. However, the shelf life of dried batteries is problematical. :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:13 #9412

• hat0791
  • User
I've never had any luck re-filling a dead battery.

I think the plates inside them corrode.

But hey, it's worth a shot for a free battery huh?

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:39 #9415

• froggy
  • User
Mcdroid wrote:

The material that is left in the battery (besides the obvious plates) are the solids that remained after evaporation. By adding just water, you recreate an acid as these solids go back into solution. Which is why, when batteries are low, we add water to them, not more acid. However, the shelf life of dried batteries is problematical. :)

hmm yes ill see if i can salvage them refilling with distilled water see if i get lucky thanx man on that explanation
i just thought a little new acid added to the water mix would help

battery 21 Nov 2005 13:52 #9420

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
You ought to be able to borrow a battery tester from somebody (the little eye-dropper thingie with the four balls in it)...refill with h20, let sit or put on a trickle charger, and then test. However, I predict they will probably not hold a charge...but, never say never.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

battery 21 Nov 2005 15:21 #9431

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Here you go froggy...
This is why you don't add acid to an old batery that discharged and dried up...

a dry fresh battery from the sto' has one plate that's like a lead dioxide foam coating a lead screen.

When the battery discharges:
lead dioxide (positive plate) and lead (negative plate) react with sulfuric acid to create lead sulfate, water and energy.
The lead sulfate ends up on the negative plate

When you charge it:

lead sulfate and water are electro-chemically converted to lead, lead oxide and sulfuric acid by an external electrical charging source.

So if you have an old battery that's discharged and dried out, the lead oxide is gone. All you have is a bunch of lead sulfate on the negative plate. If you are real lucky and battery was good when it dried out and it has been handled like nitroglycerin so as not to shake the dried out lead sulphate off the negative plate, you might get it to recharge by filling with distilled water. Personally, I would add about 1 part fresh sufuric acid to about 9 parts water. This is because there is usually a little more lead dioxide than 'the perfect balance'. Let it sit a few hours, and then try to charge it.

If it's been dropped an inch or two, moved around in the back of a truck, or jostled pretty hard...chances are it needs to go to the recycler.

-Duck (no, I am not a chemist. I just like to know how things work :-)

battery 21 Nov 2005 19:19 #9482

• froggy
  • Visitor
Probably get a chance tommorow, take a look at these batteries , wether I can salvage them or trash them, I got to get all my motor gear resurrected
in fact I got a (mitsubishi gas powered motorized foldable moutain bike $1000.00 bike). I got to get new intertubes for both tires. let sit to long, now I have 2 flats, fire up the motor run it across town keep it warm, been outta commision last 2 years with marriage and 2 newborn babies, and health problems
in fact i dont no whether im coming or going with all the toys in garage someone suggested to sell some things some of the older things dont add to much compared to the new things coming out today in age

hey, guys thanx on the information I needed

I should have one those batt testers?
man i dont even no wats in that garage burrr
:S

• Page: