Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

new wiring harness help 22 Oct 2006 20:27 #86405

• auggiedog
  • auggiedog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am in the middle of installing a new wiring harness on my 76 kz900, but have a question..
I have a reg/rec unit on there now, which with the old harness was wired directly, i.e. no connector blocks. My questions are this:

1. The reg/rec has the three yellow stator wires, no problem there. The black has the ground ring terminal, but the red, where should that go? directly to the battery? The online directions for the reg/rec say to the "male positive red wire from the stator", but there is none...

2. Then, if I have the reg/rec, it seems redundant to have all the new connector blocks in the wiring harness. I could just directly wire the oil pressure and the neutral switches, and eliminate the block for the rectifier (white), the regulator (green) and the (blue) stator/oil/neutral block. Less wires less trouble?

3. where can I get some of those great crimp connectors that are used in the OEM harness, you know, the ones with the soft plastic covers to reduce water intrusion?

Thanks for your help!
K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 07:07 #86473

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you don't understand electrics, this can get kind of complicated. First, there is not normally a red wire coming off the reg/rec on Kaw bikes. Normally, you have the three yellow wires coming off your stator. These plug into the reg/rec directly. You should then have a brown wire that connects to your switched brown circuit. This tells the reg/rec how much power to put out. You should have a black or black/yellow ground. Last, there should be a white wire. If you don't use the blue, green or white plugs as they are unneeded, this white wire (could be white/red as well) will split and one leg will go to the MAIN FUSE (20A) and the other leg will go to the MAIN BATTERY TERMINAL; this usually means it will connect onto the positive lug on the starter solenoid where the RED MAIN BATTERY WIRE is connected and this is what keeps the battery charged. Exactly what wires are coming off your reg/rec? What type is it?

As far as the nifty plastic clad connectors, www.z1enterprises.com can get you a stash of both the male/female if you contact them. They are nicer than the stuff you get at the autoparts store or Walmart. they shouldn't be that expensive. You won't find them on the z1E web site you will have to contact them and ask them about these parts.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 08:35 #86482

• auggiedog
  • User
George,
Thanks a lot for getting back to me so soon, I really appreciate it.

I have attached the photo of the reg/rec. it is an ElectroSport Regulator Rectifier - (ESR100http://www.electrosport.com/shopping_regulator_rectifiers/prod_esr100.html)

I had it on the bike before, installed it myself to replace an old reg/rec, where it was obvious where to put it, but with the new harness, not sure...

There is no white on the thing, I am thinking that the red on this is the positive out that would go into the white/main fuse. But, that would still leave me the brown wire on the (brown) connector plug.

I also would like your opionion on the whole reg/rec thing. While the new harness is complete, should I just bite the bullet and restore it to the original separate regulator and rectifier? Is there a pro/con thing to the whole set up?
Thanks!
K
Attachments:

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 09:39 #86487

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Don't go back to seperate reg/rec. That one you have should work fine (if it worked before your re-wire).

The brown wire was the control wire, or voltage-sensing wire to the old reg. Your new reg/rec does not need the brown wire. The red wire should be the output to the battery and main-fuse, as you surmised. (The instructions have a note pertaining to Suzuki's about the white/red to the stator.)

Tape up the brown wire on the harness because it will have battery voltage on it when the bike is on.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/23 12:46

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 10:20 #86493

• auggiedog
  • User
rockin!
I'll get right back into it tonight...
Thanks Guys!
K

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 11:10 #86508

• auggiedog
  • User
You know, as I look at the wiring diagram, I do have a question then...
It seems that the brown supplies power thru the (brown) connector block to ignition and headlight switches and a whole group of relays. Should this just get power from the main fuse as well, since the headlight/etc fuses are "post-switch"?
See attached diagram...
Thanks...
K

Post edited by: auggiedog, at: 2006/10/23 14:11
Attachments:

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 11:13 #86509

• auggiedog
  • User
forgot jpg..

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/23 17:55
Attachments:

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 18:41 #86664

• auggiedog
  • User
LoudHVX,
I got it now..power to all this is thru the ignition switch directly from the main, right? :blush:

The wiring diagram here on KZ is much better than the one I have...
If that's not right let me know, otherwise, thanks a lot for your help!
K

new wiring harness help 23 Oct 2006 22:49 #86784

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Sounds like you got it figured. Just leave the brown disconnected, that used to go to your old reg.

new wiring harness help 24 Oct 2006 05:56 #86812

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I am not familiar with the Electrosport reg/rec... how does it know how to adjust voltage with no feedback?

Also, the reg/rec hot out... in this case it appears to be the red wire (should also be slightly larger gauge wire) connects to the battery via the hot pole on your starter solenoid and will split and connect to your main fuse as well. There is a double female connector on your KZ900 wiring for this purpose. The power from the reg/rec goes through the main fuse and comes out on a thick (about 14 ga?) white wire that runs to your ignition switch. When the ignition switch is on, power comes out various subcircuits... the brown subcircuit is one of these and is hot all the time; I think even with the kill switch off as it doesn't run through the kill switch. The brown powers many accessories, such as your horn, AUX flasher circuit and turn signals.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

new wiring harness help 24 Oct 2006 10:34 #86879

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
wiredgeorge wrote:

I am not familiar with the Electrosport reg/rec... how does it know how to adjust voltage with no feedback?

Also, the reg/rec hot out... in this case it appears to be the red wire (should also be slightly larger gauge wire) connects to the battery via the hot pole on your starter solenoid and will split and connect to your main fuse as well. There is a double female connector on your KZ900 wiring for this purpose. The power from the reg/rec goes through the main fuse and comes out on a thick (about 14 ga?) white wire that runs to your ignition switch. When the ignition switch is on, power comes out various subcircuits... the brown subcircuit is one of these and is hot all the time; I think even with the kill switch off as it doesn't run through the kill switch. The brown powers many accessories, such as your horn, AUX flasher circuit and turn signals.

Some reg/rec use the output line to the battery as the "sense" line. This requires a detection circuit that uses virtually no current (when the battery voltage is below 14v or so), otherwise it would drain the battery since it's connected to the battery all the time.

If a reg/rec has a detection circuit that uses a little bit of current all the time in order to operate, it will have a dedicated "sense" line that gets switched off at the ignition switch.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/24 13:34

new wiring harness help 24 Oct 2006 13:05 #86904

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Hmmm... I wonder about the sense coming from the battery. The battery's condition and the fact that its output is the direct result of the reg/reg feed seems to make it a poor cantidate for providing the sense info. I guess they know what they are doing since they are about the biggest aftermarket manufacturer. Thanks for the explanation!
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: