timing plate slotting

More
04 Sep 2006 20:17 #74532 by Rickman
timing plate slotting was created by Rickman
I need to slot the mounts on the factory electronic ignition plate. I've totally burned up two teeny-tiny grinding stones and only cut a few mm! What's the best thing to cut these slots with, and don't say a waterjet?

Also, which direction should I be cutting in to be able to retard the timing? cut slots going counter-clockwise from original position, so I can rotate the plate clockwise?

thankx
Ricky

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2006 04:48 #74579 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic timing plate slotting
cut counterclockwise to retard the timing
not sure what to cut with

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
05 Sep 2006 05:25 #74589 by steell
Replied by steell on topic timing plate slotting
Ok, I'm confused (again), since the motor rotates clockwise looking at the end of the crank on the right side on the fours, shouldn't the cut be made clockwise to retard the timing?

KD9JUR

More
05 Sep 2006 17:59 #74731 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic timing plate slotting
I used a coarse rat tailed file and a flat file to slot the holes in the kz1000 timing plate I set up for my 650.

I did remove the magnets and pick up coils, noting the position of the magnets for polarity.
Also smoothed out any rough edges when finished.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/09/05 21:00

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
06 Sep 2006 05:00 #74797 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic timing plate slotting
steell wrote:

Ok, I'm confused (again), since the motor rotates clockwise looking at the end of the crank on the right side on the fours, shouldn't the cut be made clockwise to retard the timing?

to move the plate clockwise you have to slot it the opposite direction

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
06 Sep 2006 07:02 #74810 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic timing plate slotting
thanks guys, I've been brain farting on that for a while. turning the plate clockwise definately makes the motor start better with the higher compression.

Perhaps I can drill a few holes and then file them into a slot.

Great idea taking the magnets off, rstnick; thanks. If you don't mind -- can you recommend how long a slot would be useful?

thanks
Ricky

More
06 Sep 2006 15:09 #74918 by steell
Replied by steell on topic timing plate slotting
btchalice wrote:

steell wrote:

to move the plate clockwise you have to slot it the opposite direction

Remind me not to post till I have had a significant amount of caffeine in the mornings :(

KD9JUR

More
01 Jun 2007 19:21 #145610 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic timing plate slotting
just to give this thread closure--

I found a chainsaw sharpening file that was almost the same in diameter as the width of the slot -- I wanna say it was 5/16th. they are long and they are the same diameter the whole length -- your typical rat-tail file is a bit tapered. I took the magnets off and and locked the baseplate in the ol' bench vise. did a lot of filing, and it rides well enough that I'd rather hop on than pull the timing plate to file some more. I still need to measure what I have it set at.

More
01 Jun 2007 20:42 #145624 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic timing plate slotting
Rickman wrote:

I need to slot the mounts on the factory electronic ignition plate...to retard the timing....

Seems strange that the factory allowances for movement would be so grossly inadequate, and wondering if the strobe light confirms need for additional retarding. I'm probably just plain wrong or completely overlooking something, but doesn't seem logical absent some other underlying problem or condition. Am just wild guessing here, but perhaps advancer unit is failing to completely close at idle, or maybe cam timing is incorrect or ignition unit is faulty. Did onset of the timing problem follow some mechanical repair or engine modification or did it suddenly happen for some unknown reason?

And perhaps a need to elongate the factory slots is more common than I've realized.

In any event, wishing you good luck toward resolving the timing problem. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/06/01 23:46

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jun 2007 11:58 #145698 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic timing plate slotting
Some of the factory plates have no slots, just round holes so they are not adjustabe at all. The timing is often off by a couple degrees.

More
03 Jun 2007 11:49 #145908 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic timing plate slotting
Rickman wrote:

just to give this thread closure--

I found a chainsaw sharpening file that was almost the same in diameter as the width of the slot -- I wanna say it was 5/16th. they are long and they are the same diameter the whole length . . .

I see you beat me to what I would have told you to use. I used one chucked in an electric drill to make short work of an otherwise arduous process.

More
03 Jun 2007 15:26 #145962 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic timing plate slotting
Rickman, if you haven't finished the project, if you go to somewhere that sells Dremel attachments, they will sell CARBIDE cutters which work well for this purpose. The carbide cutter can actually cut ball bearings (don't ask me how I know or why hehe)

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!