Bad IC Ignitor?

• KeylAmi!
  • User
  • Engineer with anxiety
More
17 Oct 2024 10:59 #905201 by KeylAmi!
Replied by KeylAmi! on topic Bad IC Ignitor?
I love seeing 3D printing used to solve problems like this! Nice work!

Current project:
'84 KZ700

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2024 13:30 #905232 by BruceinOH
Replied by BruceinOH on topic Bad IC Ignitor?
Thanks again. 

I am about to give up….

I was out trying to get it running and it must be carb issues, but the best part was the right plug shooting out of the engine and dinging me in the elbow.  Like so many other stripped threads on this Pig, the plug hole on the right was stripped.  

So off we go into engine teardown…

More
Today 19:51 #905359 by BruceinOH
Replied by BruceinOH on topic Bad IC Ignitor?
So I cheated and did not pull the bike apart, and after watching lots of vids I did the Napa thread saver dry, as in no grease.  Between the vacuum and air blasting with the compressor and a thin rubber tube there was no sign of any shavings.

I also took the carbs apart and did another cleaning, paying particular attention to the pilot jet circuit.  I got good spray out of the little holes above the throttle valve. 

It was slow to start and would not stay running so I replaced the right spark plug with a fresh one. Today it started up ok, but I had a really bad hanging throttle. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere but no change in revs. Then I started turning the throttle and pushing on the balance adjuster between the carbs and it was fine. Turned out I buggered the spring on the balance adjuster so one side was hanging up.  Once that was fixed I let it warm up, tried to adjust the pilot screws but there was little difference, just more backfiring.  After a carb sync it settled down but I still get popping from the exhaust with a blip of throttle. Also the stumble is better, but still there.  A quick ride down the street and the bike seemed to respond well to throttle, and no popping. 

Reading through the pages here I read that the popping is a lean condition and a fix is to increase jet size. Does that sound right?  The bike came with a 2into1 exhaust but I have no idea what kind it is.  The main jet is a 70, so does it make sense to by a 72 or 75?

I also noticed my exhaust header bolts were starting to slip, so I tightened them down but it was too late to run it again. 

Hoping there will be more nice days ahead so I can try to enjoy the bike before the snow flies. 

Thank you.