Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 08:57 #900869

• ajh
  • ajh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi
Just in the process of a rolling resto gpz1100b1 and yesterday I took it for its first spin in 10 years. I had been through brakes and engine and the only thing that concerned me was the wiring that had been quite butchered and many connections were corroded. I should have taken this a bit more serious but it ran fine.... for 40 miles then I got a massive short in the loom between the reg/rec and the battery. The red/white wire was fried to the point of being stripped as was to a lesser extent the ground black/yellow. Both had been tape joined in the loom and it looked suspicioulsy like they may have shorted but tough to be certain. But it also had a cheap looking reg/rec and all the wires exiting this had melted and the RR connector looked pretty cruddy so that could be getting hot but it was the battery wire that seems to have got hottest 

I have a few questions I would love some help on
  1. So trying to be certain whats caused it, has anyone experienced similar damage from a faulty reg/rec or can I be pretty certain it was a short in the wiring?
  2. There doesnt seem to be any fuse that protects this part of the circuit, theres a permanent battery feed to the RR, im wondering whether I should put one in?
  3. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec?
  4. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? 

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 09:47 #900873

• F64
  • Away
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
This is just a very quick guess from the photos you sent but it looks like the wire got pinched to ground in the red circle.
You got real lucky!!! Glad you are ok.

Nessism should be able to help you out with finding a better reg/rec.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, ajh

Last edit: by F64.

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 10:21 #900878

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689

Hi
Just in the process of a rolling resto gpz1100b1 and yesterday I took it for its first spin in 10 years. I had been through brakes and engine and the only thing that concerned me was the wiring that had been quite butchered and many connections were corroded. I should have taken this a bit more serious but it ran fine.... for 40 miles then I got a massive short in the loom between the reg/rec and the battery. The red/white wire was fried to the point of being stripped as was to a lesser extent the ground black/yellow. Both had been tape joined in the loom and it looked suspicioulsy like they may have shorted but tough to be certain. But it also had a cheap looking reg/rec and all the wires exiting this had melted and the RR connector looked pretty cruddy so that could be getting hot but it was the battery wire that seems to have got hottest 

1. So trying to be certain whats caused it, has anyone experienced similar damage from a faulty reg/rec or can I be pretty certain it was a short in the wiring?
  2. There doesnt seem to be any fuse that protects this part of the circuit, theres a permanent battery feed to the RR, im wondering whether I should put one in?
  3. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec?
  4. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? 

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

Oh yeah I'm dealing with something like this on a 94 KZP I picked up. Not as bad but the connector is getting HOT. Alternator is working well but the R/R is letting 18VDC get by but it isn't getting to the battery. I suspect a Knock off Chinese R/R was used that started the problem. I bought a Caltric R/R and it fried the stator on my bike. Got a refund but the damage was already done. I took Ed's advice a got a used SH775 R/R changed the stator and the bike is charging fine. Somehow there's a beak between the front loom and the battery loom. Had to jump it at the red wire going to the coils to get it to run. I'm chasing down the suspected break and I do suggest installing a fuse between white/red wire going into the loom. I see you have the injected model  but the main loom from the J models may interchange. The KZP has lots of added features too that complicates things further. What a mind bender. 
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajh

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 10:25 #900879

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
After taking a second look it looks like the white connector is plugged in to the red one. That might have started the problem. 

Attachments:

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 10:27 #900880

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2062

Hi

1. So trying to be certain whats caused it, has anyone experienced similar damage from a faulty reg/rec or can I be pretty certain it was a short in the wiring? I would agree with F64 - that level of damage would suggest a "short" and the RR will be toast anyway now
  2. There doesnt seem to be any fuse that protects this part of the circuit, theres a permanent battery feed to the RR, im wondering whether I should put one in? This is the output from the RR not a feed in, and yes you can install a fuse (I will be using a 30a midi fuse on my build) some later bikes have this from factory (83 750 etc)
  3. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec? Agree Nessism will advise on this
  4. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? All you can do is start searching, having a custom loom build will be expensive if you can find someone to do it (this will be challenging being an EFI bike as adapting from another model would be challenging)

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 11:08 #900884

• ajh
  • User
thanks swest, I think that was because it had an aftermarket RR with a white connector

Last edit: by ajh.

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 11:19 #900886

• ajh
  • User

Hi

1. So trying to be certain whats caused it, has anyone experienced similar damage from a faulty reg/rec or can I be pretty certain it was a short in the wiring? I would agree with F64 - that level of damage would suggest a "short" and the RR will be toast anyway now
  2. There doesnt seem to be any fuse that protects this part of the circuit, theres a permanent battery feed to the RR, im wondering whether I should put one in? This is the output from the RR not a feed in, and yes you can install a fuse (I will be using a 30a midi fuse on my build) some later bikes have this from factory (83 750 etc)
  3. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec? Agree Nessism will advise on this
  4. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? All you can do is start searching, having a custom loom build will be expensive if you can find someone to do it (this will be challenging being an EFI bike as adapting from another model would be challenging)

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 12:02 #900891

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'll be taking the one off the KZP today. Have a Kawasaki one to replace it with that is if it's still good. The SH775 is the way to go. 

Attachments:

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 12:06 #900892

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1985

2. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec?
  3. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? 

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

Give me some days, i know i have several spare GPZ 1100 wiring looms and R/R´s in my shed.

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 17 Jun 2024 12:38 #900897

• ajh
  • User

2. I saw some earlier posts on another model about reg/rec, OEM is stupid money and i gues old technology, what are the recomendations for a modern replacement reg/rec?
  3. And the biggest problem, anyone know where I can source a replacement main loom or get one cost effectively made? 

Any help appreciated
Adrian
London

Give me some days, i know i have several spare GPZ 1100 wiring looms and R/R´s in my shed.
Top man, that would be fantastic!

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 18 Jun 2024 01:52 #900911

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2062

thanks swest, I think that was because it had an aftermarket RR with a white connector
The white connector is factory (I believe) on these later bikes, if you go the SH775 (or any other 5 wire R/R) regulator route I have included wiring instructions below

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

kz/gpz1100b1 fried loom 18 Jun 2024 07:21 #900924

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Looks like OEM is SH52212 with red connector, from the ignitor it's Y G B/Y Y/R to back of white connector, Y/R changes to red coming out. Looks like R/R with white connector is aftermarket. I've found a few places where the colors changes at the connector. 
Steve

BTW the red connector was getting really hot while running and it was putting out 18-19 V at higher RPM's. 
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest. Reason: add text