Instrument lights

More
19 Oct 2022 15:06 #875734 by Michi
Instrument lights was created by Michi
Hi, my KZ440 is in bits but I decided against simply reassembling it, and want to fabricate a few custom parts. One relatively safe area to consider is the instruments panel, I was thinking. 
Does anyone know the wattage of the incandescent bulbs used for the oil, signal and neutral idiot lights? Think I wanna replace 'em with a smaller (also incandescent) set, in a steel housing. Just because. lol
Thanks

KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 Oct 2022 17:24 #875735 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Instrument lights
I think they are 3.5 watts, but they should have it marked on the bulbs.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

More
20 Oct 2022 07:28 - 20 Oct 2022 07:28 #875756 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Instrument lights
It's been a while, but for the speedo & tach I installed heavy duty Eiko bulbs from the auto parts store (#1891).
The 1891 bulbs are longer than the stock bulbs but fit fine & also fit in the center cluster.

Alternatively, LEDs should be readily available. some searches here on KZR should help.

Last edit: 20 Oct 2022 07:28 by martin_csr.

More
20 Oct 2022 09:45 #875766 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic Instrument lights
There may be two different wattages in the cluster. From memory the ones that illuminate the dials are 5 watts. The dummy lights get less wattage. 3.5 sounds right.

As for LED's.. The contact points on the base are not the same as the incandescent lamps and while LED's can give you nice color options, especially a green LED, but by my experience, they will work for a short while but after a couple of months you’re going to have a flashing disco scene going in front of your eyes. Not noticeable in daylight but at night it drives you crazy. I would never use them on a dummy light fearing a bad connection when you need it most.
I’ll be changing back to incandescent lamps unless someone can recommend an LED lamp with improved contacts.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
20 Oct 2022 11:53 #875774 by Michi
Replied by Michi on topic Instrument lights

As for LED's.. The contact points on the base are not the same as the incandescent lamps and while LED's can give you nice color options, especially a green LED, but by my experience, they will work for a short while but after a couple of months you’re going to have a flashing disco scene going in front of your eyes. Not noticeable in daylight but at night it drives you crazy. I would never use them on a dummy light fearing a bad connection when you need it most.
I’ll be changing back to incandescent lamps unless someone can recommend an LED lamp with improved contacts.

I agree 100%. There are some small 5w incandi lights and sockets on Ebay, and I think I'll go for those.
Electrics just aren't the fun part of bikes. LEDs can work but they can also fail and be a headache unless done properly. I know a motorcycle mechanic who's well up to speed on electrics, and he could do something like. But messing around with metal is more fun. Plus, normal bulbs work and there's nothing wrong with them. A good LED headlight might be a worthwhile upgrade though.

KZ440A LTD (1980)

More
20 Oct 2022 12:20 #875778 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic Instrument lights
Michi, I used green LED's to illuminate the tach and speedo numbers and the green numbers and lines popped right out beautifully. I was well pleased. Then the disco started.

Beware which LED headlight you use. Some flicker at low rpm then burn out. It happened to my brother. The second one he bought didn’t flicker. They both threw much more light than the incandescent and were more visible to oncoming drivers but he just installed it so no telling how long it’ll last.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
20 Oct 2022 14:57 #875790 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Instrument lights
I don’t know exactly which model you have, but it looks like all but the high beam indicator are 3.4 watt. The high beam indicator is listed as 1.7 on the model I looked at.

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/7...chablefullmanual.pdf

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
25 Oct 2022 15:17 - 25 Oct 2022 15:18 #876008 by Feanor_twh
Replied by Feanor_twh on topic Instrument lights
Check this post, I put a post at the bottom about the result of upgrading to LED lights. On your KZ440 the dash panel should be similar.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/494986-le...ghts?start=12#865552

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard
Last edit: 25 Oct 2022 15:18 by Feanor_twh.