Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

LED instrument lights 17 Feb 2016 20:49 #711205

• thekelzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much for the information....restoring a KZ900A4 and bought all new LED's for the dash! MAHALO and ALOHA !
1979 CBX1000, 2000 ZRX1100, 1974 Yam DT250A, 1975 CR125 Elsinore, Road King, KTM 250 XC-W, 2008 GasGas 280TXT PRO trials.....oh, and a 400cc scooter to get me to the beach!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LED instrument lights 18 Feb 2016 04:20 #711226

• Coyote14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone tried the blue or green LEDs in the speedo and tach?
Does anyone have a trick to get the stuck bulb holders out of the idiot light cluster? I'm afraid I'm going to damage the harness forcing them out
79 kz1000 LTD
2015 Yamaha R3 [wifes]
1984 VF500F Interceptor, Sold bot not forgotten!
1968 Triumph Daytona 500. Traded my car for it when I was 16 and made my mom cry!

LED instrument lights 18 Feb 2016 07:36 #711274

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
It's a crap shoot. Hit them with penetrating oil and pry them out with small screw drivers.
Steve

LED instrument lights 18 Feb 2016 07:38 #711275

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I couldn´t get the rubber holders out also... any tips?
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

LED instrument lights 18 Feb 2016 13:29 #711330

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

undiablo wrote: I couldn´t get the rubber holders out also... any tips?

All I can think of is maybe squirt some armor all or similar on a Q-tip and drop it onto the rubber and it's mating surface. Just keep soaking it and it might soften up.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

LED instrument lights 03 Apr 2022 10:35 #864807

• Feanor_twh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Several years later I am going to replace the old bulbs on my KZ400 with LEDs. I thought it was better to reuse an old thread than to start a new one.

I have seen that someone buys red, orange, blue LEDs for the panel lights... Isn't it enough to put them white? Provides a better experience for example putting red LED on the red oil sensor?

For the rest, it seems clear that the ideal is to put a 5-point LED in the tachometer / speedometer and a single-point LED in the panel lights.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

LED instrument lights 06 Apr 2022 08:49 #865037

• BigTex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I saw the recommendation to use colored LEDs from the folks at SupergrightLED.com, and I'm happy I did.  The white will work but can often overpower the colored bezel, whereas the colored LED keeps it purely the right color.  Very nice effect, and the colored bulbs are no more expensive.  My 2 cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

LED instrument lights 06 Apr 2022 10:02 #865038

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Thanks man, that's what I wanted to know.

What model did you put on the dashboard? I found this one for tach/speedometer but it seems too powerful for dash lights.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

LED instrument lights 06 Apr 2022 11:40 #865042

• BigTex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I believe I used this for the everything.  Turn signals didn't work with led's in the dash, and and I didn't want to troubleshoot, so I left conventional bulbs in for those two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

LED instrument lights 16 Apr 2022 02:56 #865552

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Finally this is the configuration I chose:
- Speedo/tachometer: 4x  BA9s LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower  warm white
- All other dash lights:  BA9s LED Bulb - 4 LED  in the corresponding colors red, blue, amber, green

The speedo/tachometer lights are excellent, they really show up at night now, full dial. The only problem is that the LED is so powerful that a small part of the light leaks into the brake indicator but in practice I haven't had any problems with this because the difference between brake on/off is bright and intense.

The panel lights of Turn, Neutral and Oil edging the dazzling, without being so. In any case, it could be easily solved with a piece of white paper that diffuses the beam a little, and the paper will never burn because the LEDs do not heat up.

High beam and brake lights are excellent now. The high beam light was virtually invisible before and now it's a decent indicator.

The turn signal light requires replacing the relay with a more flexible one. After reading many opinions, I'm going to buy this one .

"Gracias a todos amigos".

Last edit: by Feanor_twh.

LED instrument lights 16 Apr 2022 04:51 #865555

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1755
As long as the flasher relay is not “current sensitive” you will be fine 

LED instrument lights 26 Aug 2022 11:45 #872904

• TheTrout
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

Finally this is the configuration I chose:
- Speedo/tachometer: 4x  BA9s LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower  warm white
- All other dash lights:  BA9s LED Bulb - 4 LED  in the corresponding colors red, blue, amber, green

The speedo/tachometer lights are excellent, they really show up at night now, full dial. The only problem is that the LED is so powerful that a small part of the light leaks into the brake indicator but in practice I haven't had any problems with this because the difference between brake on/off is bright and intense.

The panel lights of Turn, Neutral and Oil edging the dazzling, without being so. In any case, it could be easily solved with a piece of white paper that diffuses the beam a little, and the paper will never burn because the LEDs do not heat up.

High beam and brake lights are excellent now. The high beam light was virtually invisible before and now it's a decent indicator.

The turn signal light requires replacing the relay with a more flexible one. After reading many opinions, I'm going to buy this one .

"Gracias a todos amigos".

Thanks for posting this info!!!  I was riding home last night and did not realize I had no gauge lights.  I really appreciate you listing what you bought.  It seems right for my bike too and from superbrightleds.com, good company that I have used in the past.

1978 KZ1000B2