Battery question.

More
27 Aug 2022 12:02 #872950 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Battery question.
Did you work through the test plan I gave or have you just jumped in ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2022 17:55 #872965 by Qsmothers3
Replied by Qsmothers3 on topic Battery question.
I got the starter motor apart and thoroughly cleaned. Put it back together and connected it to a 12v batter to test it and it spins like it should. I hooked it up with jumper cables to the battery. I then put it back on the bike and connected everything back where it was. Bike still will not start and the solenoid still just clicks once and then nothing. 

More
28 Aug 2022 01:17 #872981 by Wookie58

I got the starter motor apart and thoroughly cleaned. Put it back together and connected it to a 12v batter to test it and it spins like it should. I hooked it up with jumper cables to the battery. I then put it back on the bike and connected everything back where it was. Bike still will not start and the solenoid still just clicks once and then nothing. 
Spinning it offf the bike doesn't tell you much as there is no load on it. For anybody to be able to guide you we need the voltage readings in the test plan. This will help identify the problem as either the motor, the supply or the ground

More
28 Aug 2022 07:07 - 28 Aug 2022 07:18 #873000 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Battery question.
I forgot to mention you should load test the battery.  Even a new or fairly new battery can be bad, especially if not properly serviced if required. 

Headlight high beam test.*  After charging & verifying 12.6 VDC (a good battery should be higher after charging), turn the ignition switch to ON w high beam on but don't press the start button. The voltage should drop to about 12.2 VDC.  If it drops to around 11.85 VDC, the battery may need replacing.  If it drops below 11 VDC, the battery is shot.  These are the numbers I use.  There's probably a voltage chart on the internet.  You could check the voltage while pressing the start button, but I'm not sure how far it should drop. I think close to 10.5 VDC or thereabouts. Below that & the battery is probably shot.  battery page >> search for care & feeding of your pet battery by mc consumer news. It's an old page.

*note: high beam test assumes a standard headlight, not LED
Last edit: 28 Aug 2022 07:18 by martin_csr.

More
28 Aug 2022 07:17 #873003 by Qsmothers3
I ran the below test this morning on my relay and I was get .5 ohms resistance. By what the book says I need to replace the solenoid. I did a little experiment and bypassed the really just once to see if the starter motor would start the bike and it did. I know that is not ideal and could potentially tear things up but I just had to be sure it was in fact the relay giving me issues. Ive ordered a new relay and it should be here Wednesday. Fingers crossed this will solve the issue. On the upside, with the bike tore down I can do some much needed cleaning!!

More
28 Aug 2022 12:42 #873017 by Wookie58
Did you check the switched voltage and ground for the relay "as per the test plan" ???

More
28 Aug 2022 15:04 #873025 by Qsmothers3
Sorry. yes I did do that and it was a drop of .1v. if I did it right. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
28 Aug 2022 16:05 #873027 by Wookie58