Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 13 Aug 2022 18:37 #872187

• Gdailey2112
  • Gdailey2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34
dyna 3 ohm coils were just poorly designed. 
quite frustrating with all the arcing issues, thought it was carbs at first. but it eventually killed off one coil, basically it started good cold and then 5 mins into ride it'll lose 2/3
my stock coils are tek's and tested at 3.1 and 3.3 ohms, no cracks, both coils were still working when replaced over a year ago. 
since using dyna-s ignition the 3 ohm coils were recommended.
what i'm after here, is there any known problems with going back to my original coils since they tested @ 3+ ohms?? just don't want to do any damage y'know
1982 KZ1100D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 02:42 #872198

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1718
As long as the resistance of the coils is correct you won't harm anything refitting the originals

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 03:53 #872199

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
10-4 think i'm gonna try n go back to cdi as well, i had to send dynatek modules not long ago, too. 
don't get why factory ignitions lasted for decades, but dyna crap burns up hella quick, it arcs out, strains stator, drains battery, etc
needless to say, dynatek has surely left a foul taste in my mouth.
1982 KZ1100D1

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 05:11 #872201

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 647
Other than excessively high voltage input Dyna ignition and coils are  very very reliable.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of systems operating without issue in likely every country and climate in the world.
If you follow their instructions and advice you'll have little trouble. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 05:41 #872206

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
When you say 3 ohm coils you are using a nominal number.  The Dyna coils probably test out at 3.8 +- ohms.  If they're the green ones.  (The brownish red ones are nominal 2 ohm.). By the way, the impedance is on the primary side.  The secondary side should measure over 10,000 ohms.  More likely in the 13,000 range.

I have Dyna systems on my Z1B and KZ1000.  They work very well.  However if your old coils are still OK then by all means use them.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 15:52 #872235

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Other than excessively high voltage input Dyna ignition and coils are  very very reliable.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of systems operating without issue in likely every country and climate in the world.
If you follow their instructions and advice you'll have little trouble. 

I'm not so sure about that. My friend is a well respected engineer , race bike/ engine builder and he has a box full of dead Dyna coils, he was showing me another failed one last Wednesday.
Dyna used to be very good , but since moving production to China about 20years ago ?, there have been a ton of failures, they've fixed some problems {with ignition units}, but coils continue to fail. Funny thing is, I gave him a set of 40 year old Dyna coils {to replace one that failed}, that work just fine..

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 15:54 #872236

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

As long as the resistance of the coils is correct you won't harm anything refitting the originals

I saw a dyna coil last week that measured perfectly for primary resistance, secondary resistance was zero....

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 14 Aug 2022 18:06 #872246

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
the problematic 3 ohm dyna coil is seemingly only acting up after 5 mins when she gets a little warmed up
then since reading about peeps having issue with wg mod so i checked mine with meter only to find a bad relay, so now i'm using a better quality motorcraft relay problem solved.
the learning curve is a long one indeed lol

keep in mind, this only my idea of a temporary solution. i do understand that dyna-s would be happier with 5 ohm coils, so as soon as able will obtain.
1982 KZ1100D1

Last edit: by Gdailey2112.

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 15 Aug 2022 05:52 #872278

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I've never heard of 5 ohm coils on a Kawasaki.  They are either 4 ohm or 2 ohm with a ballast resistor.  Dyna makes different resistance coils.  The replacement for Kaw 4 ohm are coloured green.  The Dyna replacement for 2 ohm coils are brown.  I have the Dyna S system on my bikes, both with the green coils.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 31 Aug 2022 08:30 #873135

• 577nitro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

10-4 think i'm gonna try n go back to cdi as well, i had to send dynatek modules not long ago, too. 
don't get why factory ignitions lasted for decades, but dyna crap burns up hella quick, it arcs out, strains stator, drains battery, etc
You and me both brother.   I've had nothing but problems with their sh**,   I switched back to the CDI, and the stock ignition pickup.  Runs great again.  The Dyna2000 fried my stator and Reg/Rect.  I'm hoping I get my $525.00 bucks back.   If I try another ignition system it will be the Jap made one SPII off webike..japan.  My stock Tek coils were no good, so I had to switch to Dyna coils.  

577nitro-

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 31 Aug 2022 08:56 #873136

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441

I've never heard of 5 ohm coils on a Kawasaki.  They are either 4 ohm or 2 ohm with a ballast resistor.  Dyna makes different resistance coils.  The replacement for Kaw 4 ohm are coloured green.  The Dyna replacement for 2 ohm coils are brown.  I have the Dyna S system on my bikes, both with the green coils.
The 5 ohm coils he's refering to are the Dyna's for use with Dyna 'S' system.
Dyna Recommend the green 3 ohm for racing and the black 5 ohm for the street.
This is because the black run cooler at the expense of a slighlty weaker spark but increased chance of longevity.
Everybody always goes for the Green though for the strongest spark including me and mine are still going strong after 22 years of daily riding.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, sf4t7, SWest

Last edit: by zed1015.

darn dyna 3 ohm coils , going back to old stockers till get new ones 31 Aug 2022 11:15 #873140

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1718

You and me both brother.   I've had nothing but problems with their sh**,   I switched back to the CDI, and the stock ignition pickup.  Runs great again.  The Dyna2000 fried my stator and Reg/Rect.  I'm hoping I get my $525.00 bucks back.   If I try another ignition system it will be the Jap made one SPII off webike..japan.  My stock Tek coils were no good, so I had to switch to Dyna coils.  

577nitro-
got to be honest I get really irritated by "in vogue" brands that build a reputation then start building shit to increase the margin (case in point the clone Dyna S systems that look identical to the Chinese made "Originals" for a quarter of the price) I need to do something for my build as the original igniter has brittle wires and the copper cores have already blackened so it's a case of when rather than if it's going to fail.
  1. So the options are £100 for a 40 year old used replacement (I don't think so)
  2. £300 for a NOS original ( definitely not, I ' ll leave them for the museum restoration boys)
  3. £220 for a Dyna S and what ever for a mechanical advancer (Don't see going backwards in technology as an improvement)
  4. I am seriously looking at the below (won't need it for approx 6 months) this is a "plug and play" replacement for the stock unit with modern digital electronics, built in over voltage protection and claims of a optimised ignition curve. More importantly it's UK made by a company that repair engine management ECU's and ignition modules and they will repair any faults in the future. It retails at £220 so same as a Dyna S (in the UK)
Attachments:

• Page: