Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 14:34 #871999

• SirCanucklehead
  • SirCanucklehead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Been working on this bike on and off for the past year after it died on me in early november of 2021. Rebuilt the carbs, put a stock airbox on it and a few other things. By that point (this spring past spring), the bike would light up when I turned the key but not turn over. Was told by a mechanic that my battery was garbage and should switch to something factory activated. Got one online that had really good reviews, popped it in, turned the key and.... nothing. No lights, no signals, nothing on the dash, no horn even (doesnt start obviously).

Im braindead when it comes to electronics. I've tried to learn, I just see TV static. So, before I panic and impulse buy a whole new electrical system, I looked at common causes for this kind of issue.

Checked the battery; voltage checks out, terminals are in the right spot, clean and plenty snug.

The fuses aren't blown, but I may replace them anyway for the gigs as one of them seems oversized (wrong standard/type? Had it when I bought the bike and it worked fine so I'm not super concerned).

The next thing I wanted to look at was the kick stand switch. That's when I noticed this 

The switch doesn't seem to be actuating in either the up or down position, and I don't even see how it would be (might be missing a piece off the stand itself?). I did try to start the bike while manually depressing the plunger, but there was still nothing, for what that's worth.

Anyway, I'm kind of at my wits end with this thing. I have no idea what to troubleshoot next, or if there's something obvious I'm missing. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SirCanucklehead. Reason: adding information

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 14:42 #872000

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
I don't have a 550, but the side stand switch looks broken from its base.   You should probably look for a new one.  In the mean time, I would push the switch stem and hold it in with something....ziptie..., or something similar, and see if it would start.

....you can always bypass it electrically, but of course that implies some physical serious risks if you forget it is down.....not wise.

Last edit: by hugo.

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 14:44 #872002

• SirCanucklehead
  • User
Okay I had a feeling that was the case. And for all I know I wasnt depressing it all the way when I turned the key, or it's just totally borked. Will look around and make that my next purchase
1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 14:58 #872004

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1783
The broken switch will stop it starting but shouldn't be effecting the ignition not turning on and the bike being electrically dead. You need to look deeper. have you left a cable off when refitting the battery (main feed to fuse box)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 15:05 #872005

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
You have bigger problems then the kickstand switch if the dash lights and horn doest work. Seems funny that they worked with the old batt and now they dont . Lights horn blinkers dash should all work regardless of that switch . Obviously you need to fix or by pass that switch but your main issue should be finding out why no power. I would double check those fuses . 
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 15:16 #872008

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
That bracket is bent . See that nub on the kickstand thats suposed to contact the switch .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
Attachments:

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 10 Aug 2022 15:32 #872009

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 368
This is most likely a dumb question, but was the battery fully charged when you got it?
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 11 Aug 2022 05:11 #872033

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1858
I heard here I think a member saying they are shipping the acid separate. Maybe as Gd4now mentioned the battery is dry.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 11 Aug 2022 06:48 #872044

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

That bracket is bent . See that nub on the kickstand thats suposed to contact the switch .
Yes, your switch braket is bend somehow by someone.

New un-sealed lead batterys are shipping bone dry and the sulfuric acid comes in an extra canister for safety reasons!

Attachments:

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 11 Aug 2022 08:04 #872053

• SirCanucklehead
  • User

This is most likely a dumb question, but was the battery fully charged when you got it?

Ever so slightly below full charge. Definitely enough to start the bike, i planned to just let it idle for a few minutes to get to full charge.
1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft

Last edit: by SirCanucklehead. Reason: adding info

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 11 Aug 2022 08:07 #872054

• SirCanucklehead
  • User

I heard here I think a member saying they are shipping the acid separate. Maybe as Gd4now mentioned the battery is dry.

Factory sealed, pre activated gel-electrolyte battery. I verified the battery had a charge as soon as I got it as well as right after I hooked it up.
1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft

1984 KZ550 F2 - Zero power after new battery, kickstand switch issues 11 Aug 2022 08:12 #872055

• SirCanucklehead
  • User

•  
You have bigger problems then the kickstand switch if the dash lights and horn doest work. Seems funny that they worked with the old batt and now they dont . Lights horn blinkers dash should all work regardless of that switch . Obviously you need to fix or by pass that switch but your main issue should be finding out why no power. I would double check those fuses . 

Right, gonna replace all fuses just for peace of mind. Read around and they seem to be AGX format? The 10amps I can find are 250V, the only 20 I could find was 32V, any idea which are the right voltage for these bikes (again, very little electrical knowlege, barely even understand what voltage signifies)?
1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft

• Page: