Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GPZ 750 Turbo 02 Jun 2022 10:22 #868044

• just wont start
  • just wont start's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all, Been out today on my GPZ 750 turbo for the first time since restoration, have done about 130 miles with no issues except the fuel gauge not working, must be sender and the batt light flashing, because of new battery without level probe fitted. after about 100 miles the oil light started to flash also, rode home cautiously for about 30 miles without issues, the sight glass has the correct amount of oil in it. 
My question is could it be a simple electrical issue or something more sinister needing the spanners again ?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GPZ 750 Turbo 02 Jun 2022 12:46 #868059

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Looks like your battery run on low voltage (less than 10 Volts) by a dry cell or too low acid level.
Also check the battery negative connections on the frame an engine housing.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

GPZ 750 Turbo 03 Jun 2022 03:03 #868106

• just wont start
  • User
Cheers mate, the battery is a new gell cell item and the volt meter on the bike is showing 14.4 so things should be ok in this department.

GPZ 750 Turbo 03 Jun 2022 05:14 #868112

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Check the wires under the ignition cover . Thats where the sender is . They are famous for leaks on the sender . Ive changed mine twice in 30 years . Also you can hook the batt light wire to positive side of the batt to make the batt light go out . 
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

GPZ 750 Turbo 03 Jun 2022 08:54 #868134

• just wont start
  • User
Cheers riturbo, was on my list to do the battery warning wire this weekend, i read that it would be advisable to fit a 600 ohm resistor to drop the voltage when connecting the probe wire to + ? Will check out the sender wires while im at it also  !
Thanks

GPZ 750 Turbo 03 Jun 2022 12:06 #868155

• just wont start
  • User
Thats the battery warning light sorted , ran it to + via a resistor just to be safe, the wiring under the ignition cover all looked to be good. The oil warning light didnt show when i started it up, maybe it will show again when riding, does the main warning light show on the ignition cover when there is a problem with the fuel level gauge on the tank pod ? the LCD is just flashing as empty !  when i have time i will lift the tank and check out the sender and wiring to the tank pod to see what the problem is.

GPZ 750 Turbo 12 Jun 2022 14:01 #868681

• just wont start
  • User
Riturbo, you were right about the blue-red wire in the right hand cover, had another look today and the sheave had rubbed through , done a quick repair today just with tape, will cut the wire another day and slip some shrink tube before soldering it for a proper repair, Great tip mate, Thanks, Just the fuel sender to sort next, maybe i will leave it till winter though, if it is the sender, are they readily still available ?
Cheers

GPZ 750 Turbo 12 Jun 2022 18:45 #868692

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Fuel sender is one thing that seems to screw up . The wire windings on the sender get bad . Sometimes you can clean them up .  The turbo tank is turbo only so sender is different from the na tank . My son used an na one in his bike but had to bend the float to make it work . Som eone on the turbo site used one from a kz 1000  i think they got it from z1 enterprizes but not sure which one it was exactly . Ill try and do a search over there and find out .

here you go 
www.750turbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4...t=Fuel+gauge#p186405
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: just wont start

Last edit: by riturbo.

GPZ 750 Turbo 13 Jun 2022 02:58 #868705

• just wont start
  • User
You are a legend, thank you so much, that information is invaluable , Its great to talk to people with the correct knowledge  !

• Page: