Z1-B Electrical head scratcher

• Terry in Australia
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Feb 2022 21:08 #862787 by Terry in Australia
Replied by Terry in Australia on topic Z1-B Electrical head scratcher
Now the reason I attached the end of the negative lead to the seat lock bolt was because the hole on either end of the cable is for a 6mm bolt. While I owned a Z900 (KZ900 in the US) back in the 80's I never pulled it apart, and since then the majority of the 40 or 50 bikes I've owned have been single cam Honda 750's. Their earth leads have a 6mm fitting on one end that goes on the negative terminal of the battery and a 10mm ring fitting on the other end. The top rear engine mounting bolt went thru the ring fitting for a good earth to both the frame and the engine. What does the other 6mm fitting on the battery's earth cable mount to on the engine? I had a quick peek and  I can't find a handy 6mm bolt? Thanks in advance. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry in Australia
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Feb 2022 22:31 #862789 by Terry in Australia
Yay, I fixed it! First of all, I decided to run an earth cable from the negative terminal to the upper rear mount bolt, so I found the thickest wire (12 gauge) I could find, crimped a 6mm ring terminal on one end, and a 10mm ring terminal on the other. I connected one end to the negative terminal on the battery, and the larger ring terminal to the upper rear engine mount. No difference. Damn. I had a length of wire left over, so I bared either end, shoved on end in the nearest black/yellow connector, and earthed the other end to the frame.

Woohoo! All of a sudden, everything worked again! Double Woohoo! OK, I then made another wire up with a 6mm ring connector on one end, and a male spade connector on the other and connected the black and yellow wire to the negative battery terminal. Everything now works again, as it should. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciated it, and if anyone has any "hacks" for setting cam timing let me know, that's my next task, I'm currently one tooth retarded on both the inlet and exhaust cams. Thanks again!

More
23 Feb 2022 00:39 #862793 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Z1-B Electrical head scratcher
No worries Terry, it’s easy to disappear down a rabbit hole with electrics when it starts doing strange things. The key is to approach it in a systematic and logical way (I used to do it for a living) the bike looks stunning by the way

• Terry in Australia
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2022 01:09 #862794 by Terry in Australia

No worries Terry, it’s easy to disappear down a rabbit hole with electrics when it starts doing strange things. The key is to approach it in a systematic and logical way (I used to do it for a living) the bike looks stunning by the way

Hey thanks mate, I'm really happy that everyone here was so helpful, and while I like to to twirl spanners, electricals are above my pay grade, so I'm just glad it's working! Yep the Z1-B looks lovely, so I just need to get it running properly now, I've got a 1100 mile ride to do in 3 weeks time. Once it's done, my Arias 1428cc KZ1000 is next cab off the rank! 

More
25 Feb 2022 16:08 #862934 by Sillyflyfisher78
Replied by Sillyflyfisher78 on topic Z1-B Electrical head scratcher
I went riding last Sunday on my 81 Kawasaki 650 CSR  came home and the next day my bike won’t start not getting any spark replace coils and still no spark any input on what I should do next will be great I have a new rectifier on the way I’m hoping that solves the problem don’t know if my Killswitch is malfunctioning or what if anyone knows any way of testing my bike to find out what the problem is I would appreciate it

More
25 Feb 2022 20:20 #862939 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Z1-B Electrical head scratcher

I went riding last Sunday on my 81 Kawasaki 650 CSR  came home and the next day my bike won’t start not getting any spark replace coils and still no spark any input on what I should do next will be great I have a new rectifier on the way I’m hoping that solves the problem don’t know if my Killswitch is malfunctioning or what if anyone knows any way of testing my bike to find out what the problem is I would appreciate it

First I’d suggest starting your on post. This one seems to be finished. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.