M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B

More
20 Jan 2022 16:36 #860800 by Njones
M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B was created by Njones
So I'm working on diagramming the wiring out before I order the Motogadget M.unit Blue. I don't have a lot of experience in wiring (shoot, I don't have a lot of experience in restoring a motorcycle either, but that hasn't stopped me from attempting to restore this one). Using the Clymer wiring diagram and the sample diagram from Revival Cycles I think I've got the wiring correct. Just wanted some other to take a look and see if I've missed anything.

I'm including the diagram I mocked up. 

1977 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2022 16:48 #860801 by Move0ver
Replied by Move0ver on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
At a quick glance it looks good.
The core concept with the M-unit is that everything goes to ground to complete the circuit (both the signal wires AND the power wires) including switches.  This can take a moment to wrap your mind around when compared to traditional motorcycle wiring.

For cross reference, here's my wiring diagram for my GS750:
(there may be a mistake in the diagram with the high/low beam switch that I fixed on the bike afterwards)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Njones

More
20 Jan 2022 16:51 #860802 by Move0ver
Replied by Move0ver on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
Also, you'll want to get a ferrule crimper and some bootlace ferrules... they ensure a good connection at the M-unit.

More
20 Jan 2022 16:58 #860803 by Njones
Replied by Njones on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B

Also, you'll want to get a ferrule crimper and some bootlace ferrules... they ensure a good connection at the M-unit.

Yeah, I picked up a ferrule crimper and some bootlace ferrules in preparation for the wiring job. 

1977 KZ650B

More
21 Jan 2022 06:18 #860817 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
When doing wiring below is a link to the tape you should use.  It sticks to itself rather than the wires, and this makes it great to use.  Also, it does not get gooey or otherwise deteriorate.  You stretch the piece you will use first, and this activates the adhesive; it only sticks to iteself.  I will never use anything else.  Ed

www.amazon.com/F4-Tape-Self-Fusing-Silic...a-325639701571&psc=1

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61, Njones

More
21 Jan 2022 07:00 #860820 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
650ed, thanks for that reply. I have a partially used rolls of that in my basement left over from my electrician days. Industrial jobs often called for that stuff for insulating large wire splices. In the trade it known as 'self-vulcanizing' tape. 

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
21 Jan 2022 09:12 #860827 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
It's like magic. Every large splice gets a couple of layers down first. In the olden days we used varnished cambric, but what with modern technology...

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, Njones

More
21 Jan 2022 14:08 - 21 Jan 2022 14:13 #860844 by calum
Replied by calum on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
Your diagram looks pretty good, but the battery isn't wired up properly. A smaller (11-13 gauge) wire should go from battery +ve to the main fuse and from there to the m-unit. Another 11-13 gauge wire should go from the reg/rec to battery +ve. Finally, a 6-7 gauge wire goes to the starter relay and from there to the starter.

Edit: looking at the m-unit instructions you need 9 gauge wire to the m-unit from battery +ve and a 40A fuse.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 14:13 by calum.

More
21 Jan 2022 14:12 #860846 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B
Varnished cambric??? That was BEFORE the "old days". 

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

More
21 Jan 2022 14:38 #860849 by Njones
Replied by Njones on topic M.Unit Blue 1977 KZ650B

Your diagram looks pretty good, but the battery isn't wired up properly. A smaller (11-13 gauge) wire should go from battery +ve to the main fuse and from there to the m-unit. Another 11-13 gauge wire should go from the reg/rec to battery +ve. Finally, a 6-7 gauge wire goes to the starter relay and from there to the starter.

Edit: looking at the m-unit instructions you need 9 gauge wire to the m-unit from battery +ve and a 40A fuse.
So I based much of my wiring off the diagram that Revival Cycles has ( revivalcycles.com/blogs/technical-articl...-unit-wiring-diagram ), and according to their diagram with the integrated starter solenoid and main fuse they sell (which I'm planning to use) it's wired this way. Is this not correct?

Granted, I probably should have used smaller lines when designing my diagram which would have helped differentiate wire gauge. 

1977 KZ650B

More
21 Jan 2022 23:52 - 22 Jan 2022 00:02 #860858 by calum
The wiring from the battery to the starter is OK, but should be at the bottom (on the solenoid and not the fuse). The other circuit goes from the reg/rec through the solenoid (should be rhe fuse) to the m-unit. If you swap them around then the starter circuit will be correct, but you'll only get power to the m-unit when the motor is running - makes it hard to start the bike ;) I usually have a 13 gauge wire coming off the battery +ve with a double female bullet connector on it. Then I plug the rectifier into one side and in your case a fused wire to the mo-unit into the other.

Edited to add a diagram from the mo-unit instructions. I translated the parts (except "batterie", figured that one was obvious :) ). I would put the rectifier on the other side of the fuse (as explained above) to protect the mo-unit if there are any surges. 

Last edit: 22 Jan 2022 00:02 by calum.

More
22 Jan 2022 00:08 - 22 Jan 2022 02:16 #860859 by calum
Just looked at the revival cycles diagram and it is also wrong. Their alternative main fuse circuit is OK, but if you don't use that then there will be no power to the m-unit unless the bike is running.

Edit: So, I guess assumption is the mother of all... I took a closer look at the revival cycles diagram and it looks like they just labelled it in a confusing way. The label "Starter solenoid" and "main fuse" should probably just be combined and put underneath, the way they labelled it I assumed it was two seperate components just stuck together. Internally it seems that the battery positive is bridged to the fuse (blue circle below, this is missing in your diagram). This means that you can wire it up as you had planned. Sorry for any confusion, my mistake.

Last edit: 22 Jan 2022 02:16 by calum.