Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trike Light Question 24 Nov 2021 14:41 #858299

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1718
Hi Bill, Slayer61 is on the money with the relay set up however you may find the attached layout easier. You are dealing with small currents so you can simply loop terminals 30 & 87 on the back of the relay. That way the only additional wiring will be the grounds for the relays and looping in the second stop light. There are however a couple of things to look out for
  1. you will need to swop out the flasher relay for one that isn't current sensitive as you are using LED lights (stock autoparts store item for trailer towing etc)
  2. The original stop light was 21w so pulled 1.75amps. Whilst LED's pull smaller current you are now driving two lamps instead of one so it is worth checking how much current they draw together to be sure you don't overload the wiring. If the lamp manufacturer can't give you this information you could hook them up on the bench and measure the current draw with a multimeter.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trike Light Question 24 Nov 2021 17:19 #858301

• Wookie58
  • Away
Hi Bill, a quick update on my last post. Both Slayers and my ideas appear to be flawed. Slayer please correct me if I am reading it wrong but your system appears to only operate they rear lamps (not the front turn signals as well) and appears to be an independent toggle switch, not the original handlebar switch which switches the output from the flasher relay so is not a constant 12v ? Mine will work if you are braking or turning but not both at the same time!
I have an idea of a hybrid of the two which will work from the original handlebar switch but it is late now here in the U.K. so I will put a diagram together tomorrow when I have time to look at the wiring diagram for this bike if you think that would be useful

Trike Light Question 25 Nov 2021 07:00 #858318

• Wookie58
  • Away
Hi Bill
Ok this one had me scratching my head for a bit, in Europe all turn signals have to be amber so we don't have these combined systems. It can be done but is complex (multiple relays and wiring changes) to work from the factory switch. This made me think how is it done on early American muscle cars?
Good news, if you look at the attached there is an off the shelf solution available in the states for $15 which needs minimal wiring work as it uses the original turn signal and stop light wiring.
PS: you will still need to swop out the mechanical flasher relay as per my original post. Be lucky
Attachments:

Trike Light Question 29 Nov 2021 12:48 #858438

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256

Hi Bill, a quick update on my last post. Both Slayers and my ideas appear to be flawed. Slayer please correct me if I am reading it wrong but your system appears to only operate they rear lamps (not the front turn signals as well) and appears to be an independent toggle switch, not the original handlebar switch which switches the output from the flasher relay so is not a constant 12v ? Mine will work if you are braking or turning but not both at the same time!
I have an idea of a hybrid of the two which will work from the original handlebar switch but it is late now here in the U.K. so I will put a diagram together tomorrow when I have time to look at the wiring diagram for this bike if you think that would be useful
Wookie,
   You're absolutely correct. It is a drawing for the rears only. You wouldn't have your front lights co-mingling with your brake lights, now would you? The source for the front turn signals will need to come from the turn signal BEFORE going to the brake/turn relays.
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Trike Light Question 29 Nov 2021 12:51 #858440

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256

Hi Bill
Ok this one had me scratching my head for a bit, in Europe all turn signals have to be amber so we don't have these combined systems. It can be done but is complex (multiple relays and wiring changes) to work from the factory switch. This made me think how is it done on early American muscle cars?
Good news, if you look at the attached there is an off the shelf solution available in the states for $15 which needs minimal wiring work as it uses the original turn signal and stop light wiring.
PS: you will still need to swop out the mechanical flasher relay as per my original post. Be lucky

Brilliant! and only $15 to boot! I don't think you could make it for that

www.johnsonssurplus.com/products/hd-tail...ht-converter-5423203
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, SWest

Trike Light Question 29 Nov 2021 13:10 #858442

• Wookie58
  • Away
Simple is always good !

Trike Light Question 29 Nov 2021 16:20 #858455

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
K.I.S.S.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, slayer61

Trike Light Question 30 Nov 2021 09:33 #858476

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
To do it with relays, and not have to do any rewiring other than the three wires at the back, you really need 3 relays, and one has to be a double-pole, so not as common as a common, generic automotive relay (if Radio Shack was still a thing, it wouldn't be an issue).  Also, the flasher unit will have to be upgraded from the old thermal version. I recommend the 3-wire type since it is capable of handling a wider range of load types than even an "electronic" 2-wire flasher can handle.

But with LED's and being in the modern age and all, a trailer integrator is probably the easiest way to do it, and may even be cheaper if it comes on a boat from far away.

I've attached a couple designs for academic purposes, but a trailer integrator is the way to go.  One uses transistors instead of relays.  

Some trailer integrators may require going to an "electronic" flasher as well, so be aware of that if it doesn't seem to work correctly.

In my opinion, you really want a flasher that stops after a minute or so.  I use one, and it's reassuring after riding a bunch of highway miles only to find the turn signal switch had been in the left position the whole time.  :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Trike Light Question 30 Nov 2021 09:48 #858478

• Wookie58
  • Away
Hi loudhvx I have already  posted a link to such a device available in the states for $15 
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Trike Light Question 30 Nov 2021 10:52 #858482

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, I'm aware of that.  I was reinforcing the idea of that being the simplest way to go as I've posted and linked-to here in the past couple decades.  I should have mentioned I was agreeing with your post, though.

As a side note, old American cars had a more complex turn-signal switch and wiring to handle the brake-light and turn integration.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Trike Light Question 30 Nov 2021 11:05 #858484

• Wookie58
  • Away
No worries, thanks for the update ref the classic car setup. We don’t have these combined systems in Europe. I had a 68 Camaro in the 80’s but it had been retrofitted with amber turn signals before I bought it 

Trike Light Question 30 Nov 2021 14:50 #858492

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1271
Thanks Guys,
Your advice has been invaluable and educational!
I started by ordering five relays for $15.00 that I'll not be using, no big deal I learned enough to count it as well spent. In the end I ordered this converter.

www.amazon.com/56130-Non-Powered-2-Wire-...W4LF7HR%2CB0732RN8P2

It'll do everything I need it to. I think.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Mikaw

Last edit: by KZQ.