Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

static timing KZ305 26 Sep 2021 18:28 #855823

• 82KZ305Belt
  • 82KZ305Belt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
That seems to have solved the problem I was having. I now have the left side set. I want to make absolutely sure of the next step so I don't go screwing up what I've already done. Now that the maximum gap has been set on both sets of points and the left side points open just before TDC...

Is my next step to get the right side at the top of the compression stroke and then adjust the backing plate as necessary, just as I did on the left? This part confuses me because it seems like doing so might mess up the left side timing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

static timing KZ305 27 Sep 2021 15:03 #855840

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Woohoo, she started! Not for long, and it made a rather loud (hopefully) valvey sound but I'm going to relish those 5 seconds of ignition.  Definitely gonna need some more tweakin but SWEET IGNITION for the first time in 3 years.

static timing KZ305 27 Sep 2021 21:31 #855858

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133

Is my next step to get the right side at the top of the compression stroke and then adjust the backing plate as necessary, just as I did on the left? This part confuses me because it seems like doing so might mess up the left side timing.

What do you mean by Backing Plate? I think this is what is causing the confusion. There are two sets of points, each has a metal plate. Then there is the timing plate that the points are mounted to. Gaps for both sets of points are adjusted by pivoting the points plates closer or further from the cam. Timing is adjusted by rotating the timing plate. You can not adjust timing on right and left cylinder separately, They adjust together as you rotate the timing plate.
Great to hear its firing up.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

static timing KZ305 28 Sep 2021 06:56 #855863

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

What do you mean by Backing Plate? I think this is what is causing the confusion. There are two sets of points, each has a metal plate. Then there is the timing plate that the points are mounted to. Gaps for both sets of points are adjusted by pivoting the points plates closer or further from the cam. Timing is adjusted by rotating the timing plate. You can not adjust timing on right and left cylinder separately, They adjust together as you rotate the timing plate.
Great to hear its firing up.

Backing plate=timing plate in my post

That bolded part is where things were unclear, but I figured it out. Its running great and it does this weird thing it never did before-it starts the instant I turn the key. Things are looking good.

The noise turned out to be exhaust, I hadn't tightened the right side all the way. It is purring like a kitten now. I'll put the timing light on it today (I have no dwell meter).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive

static timing KZ305 06 Oct 2021 12:39 #856275

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
OK I found the timing light. I have the left side idle timing set (it was darn close already) using the F mark.   I'm not going to even try to make sense of the manual. I have no dwell meter but the timing light has a knob for adjusting advance degrees, for whatever that's worth.

I've gone as far as revving it up to 3200 rpm but the left side advance timing "L" mark (at least I think that's the advance timing mark) doesn't even come into view at that point (do I need to set x degrees on the strobe?).

So I stop and await your sage advice. I've done nothing with advance timing on the left except as mentioned, and nothing at all on the right.

(FYI I'm getting a little backfire on the right and the right plug is getting carbon and/or oil deposits. The fuel level is not high, if anything its a bit low).

Last edit: by 82KZ305Belt.

static timing KZ305 28 Nov 2021 13:15 #858410

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133

There is only one timing plate. Both sets of points are mounted to it. You do not adjust timing for right and left points separately. Once the point gaps are set, timing for both cylinders are  adjusted together, as you rotate the plate.

I found this statment I made to be not completly correct. While adjusting timing on a GL1000, the manual states, if left and right timing don't match, adjust right side point gap until timing on right side is correct. I was suprised at how little adjustment to point gap changes timing. The bike idled much better with timing on both sides identical and point gaps slightly out of spec, than the other way around.
The last time I tuned up the KZ305 I set point gaps identical and split the differance on timing, left a bit too far advanced and right a bit retarded. This time I set left point correct and set left timing correct, then set right timing by messing with right point gap until right timing was correct. The KZ305 is starting and idling much better now, even though right point gap is slightly larger than it should be.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

static timing KZ305 29 Nov 2021 19:53 #858459

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

There is only one timing plate. Both sets of points are mounted to it. You do not adjust timing for right and left points separately. Once the point gaps are set, timing for both cylinders are  adjusted together, as you rotate the plate.

I found this statment I made to be not completly correct. While adjusting timing on a GL1000, the manual states, if left and right timing don't match, adjust right side point gap until timing on right side is correct. I was suprised at how little adjustment to point gap changes timing. The bike idled much better with timing on both sides identical and point gaps slightly out of spec, than the other way around.
The last time I tuned up the KZ305 I set point gaps identical and split the differance on timing, left a bit too far advanced and right a bit retarded. This time I set left point correct and set left timing correct, then set right timing by messing with right point gap until right timing was correct. The KZ305 is starting and idling much better now, even though right point gap is slightly larger than it should be.

Thanks. if I ever find matching oversized pistons and rings for a reasonable price, I may rebuild again, but that's what my bike needs. I should have known better than to listen to a Harley machinist.

• Page: