Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 18:55 #852547

• Elfarm98648
  • Elfarm98648's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I will add a bolt to that coil as soon as I can get one. 

I unfortunately get no continuity out of any of the wires when the ignition is not on and the igniter is unplugged. Just to make sure I am doing this correctly, I am measuring ohms of the igniter(male connector), not the coil harness(female connector)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 19:31 #852548

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
you are measuring the wires coming out of the ignitor.

Basically, you are measuring just this with your meter.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:

Last edit: by F64.

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 19:34 #852549

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Just checking, I’ve got no reading on any of the wire combinations leading to the igniter. Nothing. I changed the new multimeter to the audible continuity setting, where if there is any continuity whatsoever it will make a noise. And got nothing with any of the wire combinations.

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 19:42 #852551

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
That ignitor may be dead.
I may want to try another test before we condemn it because i'm cheap and those things may be expensive unless you do Lou's ignitor conversion.

Take a needle and poke through the wire 1/2" from the ignitor body.
you will need two needles
put the probes on the needles.
This way you can test the wire closer to the ignitors.
this is an extreme way of measuring as you will cause corrosion in the wire unless you seal the hole up.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
LIC, NY

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 20:04 #852554

• Elfarm98648
  • User

these were my chosen wires, black/yellow and yellow/red. Nothing. What’s this about lou’s igniter conversion? I’ve been looking for new igniters and they cost more than I paid for the whole bike so that’s a no go. 
Attachments:

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 20:40 #852555

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
Lou will jump in and explain them.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
I've had mine on my bike for 6 years now.

Any luck with the needles?
81-KZ440-D2.
LIC, NY

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 21:05 #852557

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Nada unfortunately, I guess I’ll look into the Lou thing. Thank you all for the help. I’ll be back soon though, turn signal don’t work 

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 21:10 #852558

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
You're welcome!

81-KZ440-D2.
LIC, NY

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 25 Jul 2021 23:48 #852559

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Looking back at the igniter test values, I should clarify the scale readings.  The Kawasaki tester is an analog tester.  The scale values don't mean the same as on the Harbor Freight digital meter.  On the Kawasaki tester, the scale values are just multiplier values.  By using a logarithmic scale on the display, it can handle a huge range of values.  So the selector values are not max values like what is found on the digital meter.  They are just what you multiply the analog reading by.

I don't use resistance checks on a device like the igniter because the components are most likely non-linear semiconductors.  That is, they don't exhibit a constant resistance like a resistor does.  The measured resistance will depend on the internal operation of the meter.  Ohm meters must apply a small voltage in order to measure resistance.  Different meters use different voltages to do this.  But the semiconductors in the igniter may react differently to different voltages.

I can't really say how using a modern meter will alter the expected results of the igniter measurements.  I wouldn't expect every wire combination to be at infinite ohms though.

The old type of HEI modules are getting harder to find.  Make sure to know how to check the HEI module to make sure it is the type compatible with the Kz ignition. 

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 26 Jul 2021 06:33 #852566

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Roger, I’ve looked at one at my local autozone that looks identical to the picture, and even on the spec sheet it uses wells data so I believe wells makes them for autozone. Here is a link so you all can double check before I buy them. Upon looking at the website for the autozone there is a schematic for the wiring and it appears they have the same wiring and the website even says “Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Vehicle Electronics” 

www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-ro...ule-dr100/115808_0_0

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 26 Jul 2021 08:53 #852570

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell by looking at the module whether it is the older type or not.  
This page shows how to tell using a battery and meter.  But I doubt the guy at the store is going to let you put a battery to the module without buying it.
Maybe buy it, then test it in the car, and return it if it is the wrong type.  Most places don't allow returns on electronic parts like an igniter, but if you never leave the parking lot, they may allow it.
General Motors HEI Ignition Modules (gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com)

I find ebay is a better source for older, but new, modules.  They are also often cheaper.  The only issue is returning them is not so convenient if even possible.

The reason for this problem is that no one makes dedicated control chips for such things anymore.  They only make a generic, programmable chip to be used for many different things.  Because of this, new HEI modules no longer behave like the ones from 30 years ago.  When used in a car, they still work, but when used for applications with different requirements/applications, like on a Kz, the different behavior works against the Kz.  The other problem is that since it's a matter of flashing it with a different program, they can easily alter the behavior without changing any manufacturing, so the behavior can be different with every new batch of modules manufactured.

I've been slowly redesigning the ignition projects to use more consistent module types (like the 7-pin HEI) or using discrete parts entirely.  Discrete parts come with a datasheet that they adhere to so there isn't a ton of reverse engineering that has to be done (like I did with the 4-pin modules 20 years ago), and any changes will be published.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

81 KZ750H LTD No spark 26 Jul 2021 12:42 #852583

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If you want to eliminate possible wiring issues on the bike, you can test the components on a bench using a battery.

In order to test for spark all you have to do is take a steel screwdriver and tap the center pole-piece of the pickup.  That is usually sufficient to create a spark. It should spark about 50% of the time that way, depending on how the pickup is tapped and with how much force etc.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but when looking for spark both plugs of a particular coil must have a path to each other or a common piece of metal, and not necessarily ground.  It's just a coincidence that the engine is grounded.  The high tension is only seeking a path from one plug wire to the other.

This was posted before, in another Kz750 thread recently, but I'll try to get more mileage out of the drawing here :).

kzrider.com/forum/attachment/147689

Last edit: by loudhvx.