Help with ignition

More
15 Nov 2020 13:37 #838532 by robhartle82
Help with ignition was created by robhartle82
Hey y'all. New to these older bikes. I have a 79 kz400 LTD. The old coil was shot so I bought a dynatek coil. It's a dc8-1 dual coil with 5 ohms resistance. I have two questions: do I need to swap out the ignition points with an electronic ignition? And if so, are there any electronic ignition systems that will work on this bike? I was looking for the dyna s ignition but it doesn't look like they make them for the kz400 . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2020 16:00 #838534 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Help with ignition
Replace your points and condenser with new points and condenser. If you go with a factory or Dynatek system, you will also need a 2 or 3 Ohm coil.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: robhartle82

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
24 Nov 2020 11:32 #838863 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Help with ignition
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

robhartle82 wrote: are there any electronic ignition systems that will work on this bike? I was looking for the dyna s ignition but it doesn't look like they make them for the kz400

Here are two threads with some info:

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/607775-dyna-s...or-a-kz400-which-one

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597458-19...tronic-ignition-swap

Another thing you could do is use the stock points connected to an igniter box. This would substantially reduce points wear, since it would be acting as a simple trigger.

The Dyna III ignition uses a trigger plate and separate igniter box. It's very likely the box could be used with the stock points as a trigger. Something like this (but I wouldn't pay this price).

TexasKZ wrote: Replace your points and condenser with new points and condenser. If you go with a factory or Dynatek system, you will also need a 2 or 3 Ohm coil.

The Dyna S says that coils need to be greater than 3 ohms. So I think the 5 ohm would work if a Dyna S could be adapted to fit.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

More
24 Nov 2020 13:52 #838882 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Help with ignition
I have done two Kz400's last year using 7-pin HEI modules and the original points. It's best to use new points to get the most consistent timing, and they will never pit as DOHC said.

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZhei7pinModForPoints.html