• Page:

TOPIC:

82' KZ1000 Bare Bones Wiring 07 Jun 2020 12:25 #827531

• Duckinfumb
  • Duckinfumb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Rewiring my motorbike.
Previous owner braided in 3 useless switches into the harness, just cut everything out.

I'm taking everything off the handlebars, so I built a toggle box with 3 switches (a 3 wire"on-of-on" switch for the lights, another one for the killswitch, and a two wire "momentary on" toggle for my on button.

Right now, I've just finished building a harness for my coils (2 big Ys), and wired up each of my new toggle switches and mounted the box.

I have a fuse linked wire ready to connect to my positive battery cable and key switch.

I'm only wiring what is essential for the bike to run + a headlight. I'll wire in the tail light when it comes in the mail.

Couple questions:

What is the most efficient way to wire everything, starting from my battery?

Are all the colored wires from my key switch hot after I give it juice from the battery? Should I cut the clip and use those wires, or just take out the 2 I'd need and hide the clip?

Additional info:

Solenoid is still connected to starter, and functions correctly. Solenoid still has its thick battery wire, plus a thick red/white wire, and a thick white/red all connected together on the opposite bolt from the startermotor.

Reg/rec is still connected to stator, and just needs juice and ground.

I'm not quite sure what else specifically you'd need to know or liken to see, so I'll explain further or send pics upon request

Thanks in advance!
1982 KZ1000
1982 KZ750 M1 (CSR) twin *RIP*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82' KZ1000 Bare Bones Wiring 07 Jun 2020 14:42 #827541

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
Check out this post:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...ght?start=312#606409

This should be a good starting point, but there are a few KZ1000 diagrams on that thread. Maybe loudhvx can help you find the best version.

82' KZ1000 Bare Bones Wiring 07 Jun 2020 16:33 #827547

• Duckinfumb
  • Duckinfumb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Perfection. Thank you! I'll post pics when it's done.
1982 KZ1000
1982 KZ750 M1 (CSR) twin *RIP*

• Page: