rectifier i.d. and wiring

More
08 May 2020 18:44 #825280 by kerrandi13
rectifier i.d. and wiring was created by kerrandi13
So upon disassembling my bike (1977 650B) I discovered that one of the previous owners was mentally unstable, seeing as all two of the wires from my stator to my rectifier were held together with wire nuts.... very poorly in my opinion. No wonder my battery is screwed. Anyway, the rectifier appears to be of Chinese decent, and has some sort of serial number, that when searched, provides zero positive results. The wires from the stator are clearly original and in good condition. Which brings me to my question, does anyone have a similiar rec, and can you tell me how you have it wired. Or if you are aware of a thread where I can find, all help is welcome.

Wire colors:
Yellow - 3
Red - 1
Blue - 1
Green - 1
Orange - 1

DOUCE
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2020 08:38 - 09 May 2020 08:45 #825306 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic rectifier i.d. and wiring
Those are not standard colors for a KZ. The 1977 Kz650 is a first-year model and is different from all later years. It uses a separate regulator and rectifier. More importantly it uses an excited-field type alternator (also called electro-magnetic or EM). You can identify that with three screws in a triangle pattern on the round left-side cover of the engine.

The field coil type regulator is very different than the later years. OregonMotorcylceParts.com sells one and they are dependable.

The separate regulator for your bike would be VR3-KZ.
oregonmotorcycleparts.com/vregulators.html

The rectifier can be any cheap 3-phase rectifier that handles 40 amps or so. (The bike will only produce about 20 but you want some margin).

There are combo reg/recs for your bike but they are usually just a sepearate regulator and rectifier stuck in one package.

The ORegonMotorcycleParts combo unit for your bike would be VRREM7-KZ.
oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
Last edit: 09 May 2020 08:45 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, kerrandi13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.