Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 22 Sep 2019 23:49 #811179

• Cruzn74
  • Cruzn74's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all I have an issue with my bike seems she don't want to start I've watched YouTube video and Google what I thought was the problem so far I've put in the starter clutch also ignition coil and wires along with the starter relay and to no avel she won't start even with the Kickstarter I'll post the video I posted on
YouTube of what it was doing originally any help would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 09:41 #811206

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I can't tell if it's the starter clutch is slipping or if the engine has no compression . Since I assume it's 2 cylinder engine, it should be making a "thumping" sound as it cranks. Sounds like a no compression issue from the video, if the engine is indeed turning over. A minimum of ~80 - 100 lbs compression is needed for almost any engine to fire.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 12:46 #811214

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The 750 twins have a history of the starter gear slipping inside the actual starter itself. You might get a thump or two, but then it just sounds like a constant cranking sounding like in the video. There are probably a few threads on it on Kzrider over the years.

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 13:08 #811219

• old_kaw
  • User
More insight Mr. Obvious. LOL As stated, the starter clutch and start solenoid have been replaced/ fixed. Most all old kaw's have a history of starter clutch failures of one sort or another (mine was loose on the stator) . Some more than others.

Don't miss the part about checking for spark, compression and giving it a shot of ether. Of course it will need to turn over / crank in order to check for any of this stuff.

Starter clutch issue:

And then there's this genius trying to start his bike off of a battery charger. Even a woman will tell you that you need good batteries in your toys. duh.
** Note this youtube video is about 7 years old, and in glancing over the comments, it is STILL a lawn ornament. Soon destined to be a CL special deal.. no title, and the keys were lost somewhere during 2015. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 13:29 #811220

• Cruzn74
  • Cruzn74's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok so after digging around on the old interweb a little more and Cross referencing my manuals along with feeling more gray hair coming in and some of it coming out on top I still have no spark but tested the pick-up coil and it's supposably"good" according to the manual I need to replace the CDI box also should I be worried about the rust
Attachments:

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 13:51 #811222

• old_kaw
  • User

Cruzn74 wrote: Ok so after digging around on the old interweb a little more and Cross referencing my manuals along with feeling more gray hair coming in and some of it coming out on top I still have no spark but tested the pick-up coil and it's supposably"good" according to the manual I need to replace the CDI box also should I be worried about the rust

WOW, now your getting somewhere. No SPARK. Try cleaning up all of the connections to and from all of the ignition devices, along with cleaning / lubing the advancer and see how it acts. Troubleshooting is outlined in the service manual.

Take note on Patton's comments.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/599802-ig...off-and-idle-surging

The loud one has a fix for the CDI igniter if indeed bad. (it may be ok, just neglected)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 16:28 #811229

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Just to be clear, in addition to the starter clutch slippage, there is a pin or something that lets loose inside the actual starter motor so that the motor output shaft does not spin, but the motor still makes noise. That has been a problem for a few people and the symptoms would be similar to the starter clutch slippage. Probably the user named "Steell" has a post about it.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 16:54 #811230

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621

old_kaw wrote: More insight Mr. Obvious. LOL As stated, the starter clutch and start solenoid have been replaced/ fixed. Most all old kaw's have a history of starter clutch failures of one sort or another (mine was loose on the stator) . Some more than others.

Don't miss the part about checking for spark, compression and giving it a shot of ether. Of course it will need to turn over / crank in order to check for any of this stuff.

Starter clutch issue:

And then there's this genius trying to start his bike off of a battery charger. Even a woman will tell you that you need good batteries in your toys. duh.
** Note this youtube video is about 7 years old, and in glancing over the comments, it is STILL a lawn ornament. Soon destined to be a CL special deal.. no title, and the keys were lost somewhere during 2015. lol

Take that guy's tools away... And the Kaw. :lol: Obviously it's the starter clutch. :whistle:
Steve

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 17:36 #811233

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Actually, the last video shows the inner reduction gearing nicely. About 3:30 into the vid you can see the reducer. I think the big outer ring-gear lets loose and spins, then the planetary gears don't orbit so the output shaft doesn't turn.

82 Kawasaki kz750m car starting issue 23 Sep 2019 22:04 #811246

• old_kaw
  • User
My 2005 Chevy truck has a permanent magnet gear reduction stater on the 4.3 Vortec engine. The ring gear is plastic, The kaw starter with the metal ring gear looks more stout. This starter will zing the engine over effortlessly. even with a low battery.

Attachment not found

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of the reduction gearing when I went through it.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

• Page: