Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 CSR 650 / speedo & tach lights 30 Jun 2019 18:43 #806732

• Uncle Freddy
  • Uncle Freddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
just about 3/4 done with my full restore of my '83 CSR 650 ....just went thru both gages, fully refreshed to include, new paint, lube and brand new light bulbs in all sockets .....the gage lights illuminated perfectly for the speedo & the tach when I began my restore, and riding the bike the last 15+ years .....question: should the gage lights be on whenever the ignition is turned ON ? my experience = YES ....I have the tach fully reinstalled, not yet on the speedo but when I turn on the ignition, the gage illumination lights do NOT come on, however ALL other bulbs work perfect: turn signals, bright lights, neutral, oil sense, fuel sense, low / high headlight, brake lights, etc) .....all fuses ck good .....what am I not checking ? what am I not realizing ? ....I thought all illumination light bulbs in both the speedo and the tach illuminate as soon as the ignition is turned ON ....THANKS FOR THE ASSIST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Uncle Freddy.

1983 CSR 650 / speedo & tach lights 01 Jul 2019 06:04 #806743

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
They should come on with the headlight.
Steve

1983 CSR 650 / speedo & tach lights 01 Jul 2019 06:41 #806745

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Do you have the wiring diagram for the motorcycle? The 83 650-CSR should be the same as the 82 model. I would unplug the tachometer connector & check for power >> probably the red-blue wire (test w ignition switch ON). I believe the meter lights share the same circuit as the front running lights. You could also test for power at the ignition switch connector >> probably the red-blue wire (ignition switch ON).

Just an FYI. from the owner's manual when the ignition switch is first turned ON, the fuel warning light should come on, then go off after about 3 seconds & the oil warning light should stay on until the engine is started.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1983 CSR 650 / speedo & tach lights 13 Jul 2019 11:58 #807479

• Uncle Freddy
  • Uncle Freddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
shockingly, after checking the fuses right before I started this thread, it WAS the fuse, not sure on which ignition turn-on this one popped ....all better now guys, thank you

Last edit: by Uncle Freddy.
  • Page: