sudden failure while riding

More
25 Jun 2019 14:39 #806422 by KzRyan
sudden failure while riding was created by KzRyan
SO I just posted a question and I don't think it was successful, if it was I'm sorry the powers that be. Anyway. Been breaking in a new build. Got 100 miles on it as of Sunday and Monday night did another oil change and I added a 1/4 turn to the manual cam chain adjuster. Today - Tuesday - I woke up and rode for about 20 minutes. Stopped, got gas and then as a I started to ride home the bike got funny. Lost power, was hesitant and the exhaust was muffled. whole thing sounded anemic or just not 100% there. I've certainly had this issue before and I cannot recall how I fixed it. Pretty sure it has to do with the coil wires - mostly electric at least that was a previous and usually ongoing issue. The bike is mostly all brand new. Battery is good, charging system is good, no blown fuses, full power to gauges. Bike wants to start. Carbs are excellent - clean and rebuilt. Two days ago the bike was a screamer. Something got pinched or burnt or cut. Any ideas? I am at work at the moment - cant stop thinking about the problem. So when I get home ill pull the tank and check the coils/ wiring. I am sure ill figure it out but now that the bike is running and no longer a full time project I figured it would be good to get back onto the forums. Thanks ahead of time. You guys and girls are great.

1978 Kz1000 A2A. 1040 Weisco 10.25:1 pistons, VM 28ss carbs, Dyna S Ignition and coils, Moto GP Werks exhaust, Ikon Shocks, lithium ion battery, Always a work in progress.

1974 Kz400 - 16K miles - all stock
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
25 Jun 2019 14:54 #806424 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic sudden failure while riding
First to do is check for clogged jets or water and fouling in the carb bowls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzRyan, old_kaw

More
25 Jun 2019 15:16 #806429 by KzRyan
Replied by KzRyan on topic sudden failure while riding
I’ll pull the carbs when I’m done for the night if i don’t find an electrical problem. It really doesn’t feel like a carb issue although having poor fuel delivery could mimic this.

1978 Kz1000 A2A. 1040 Weisco 10.25:1 pistons, VM 28ss carbs, Dyna S Ignition and coils, Moto GP Werks exhaust, Ikon Shocks, lithium ion battery, Always a work in progress.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2019 15:24 #806433 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic sudden failure while riding
Sounds like spark plug leads. Check the ends for corrosion. If you find any nip off 1/4" on both ends or one end if they aren't replaceable.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzRyan

More
25 Jun 2019 15:29 #806435 by KzRyan
So by leads you mean the cap or the end of the wire? Wires are brand new. They are in good shape. As with the caps. I have the NgK caps now - never had them before , decided to go that route this time. I just got home. So within 30 minutes I’ll have the tank off. I’m kinda thinking weird now from the carb jet clog comment. I did just fill up and even though it’s a reputable gas station I use all the time maybe I clogged more than 1. Ugh really don’t want to be pulling carbs. Pita

More
26 Jun 2019 05:16 - 27 Jun 2019 05:46 #806468 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic sudden failure while riding
Are the coils new or the originals? If they're the old coils, I would ride the bike to highway speeds, then stop & feel them: they should be warm, not hot. press hard with your fingers. practice feeling them when the engine is cold so you don't get burned by the valve cover. Mine were getting very hot.

I know you said the battery is good, but I would charge it with a good motorcycle smart charger & do a load test.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 05:46 by martin_csr.

More
26 Jun 2019 08:11 #806486 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic sudden failure while riding
Have you had the tank off recently? Sometimes a wire can come loose underneath while installing the tank.

More
26 Jun 2019 08:27 - 26 Jun 2019 08:28 #806487 by Greybeard
Replied by Greybeard on topic sudden failure while riding
"got gas and then as a I started to ride home the bike got funny. Lost power, was hesitant and the exhaust was muffled. whole thing sounded anemic or just not 100% there."
Sounds like you got bad gas to me.

1982 KZ1100 D-1
Last edit: 26 Jun 2019 08:28 by Greybeard.

More
26 Jun 2019 11:18 #806506 by JR
Replied by JR on topic sudden failure while riding
...... or perhaps diesel? Has been known to happen.

Check also for kinked fuel line

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
27 Jun 2019 05:45 - 28 Jun 2019 04:51 #806548 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic sudden failure while riding
By Greybeard: Sounds like you got bad gas to me.

By JR: ...... or perhaps diesel? Has been known to happen.

I've gotten bad gas before & in hindsight his problem sounds familiar. I filled up at an out of the way service station a number of years ago, then after a few miles of riding the motorcycle started running weird then terrible. Luckily I was able to limp to another fuel place, drain the tank & add fresh again.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2019 04:51 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzRyan

More
27 Jun 2019 06:08 #806551 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic sudden failure while riding

martin_csr wrote: ................
I've gotten bad gas before & in hindsight his problem sounds familiar. I filled up at an out of the way service station a number of years ago, then after a few miles of riding the motorcycle started running weird then terrible..

That happened to me years ago on my BSA. The bike was running fine but was very low on gas. I stopped at a brand new gas station and filled the tank. About a mile later the bike's engine stopped running and wouldn't start. I removed the tank, emptied it, and walked to a different gas station. I put a gallon of fuel in the tank and carried it back to the bike. The bike then ran fine.

Here's something most folks aren't aware of - when a gas station is being built and has new tanks installed in the ground the tanks initially are very often filled or partially filled with water. This is to prevent the tanks from "floating" to the surface if it rains before the concrete surface is laid down. After the concrete is laid the water is pumped out of the tanks. However, some water always remains, so until the tanks have had gasoline in them and that gasoline is sold to vehicles some water will be pumped along with the gas. Usually the percent of water isn't high enough to prevent an engine from running, but sometimes .....................
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, 78z1Joe, KzRyan

More
27 Jun 2019 07:49 #806554 by KzRyan
So I had a crazy busy day yesterday. After work I pulled the carbs, cleaned out the bowls ( they were spotless but I did it anyway), I cleared all the holes in the slow and main jets, reinstalled the carb set and was done for the night. Today ill run it see what it does. Two nights ago I pulled the tank and the wiring seemed fine, I ran through everything and I don't think its the coils. I pulled all 4 spark plugs, and tested them - nice spark. Fuel delivery into the carbs is excellent. So to answer some questions. The coils aren't new but are green dyna coils that are probably 5 years old. They seem to be fine but ill check temp once i get it running. Tank has been off almost every night for two weeks. I had to chase down some wiring gremlins - replace a few pin connectors and then re-loom everything. But its pretty good wiring goes I think. The gas station isn't Brand new but i never use it, just happened to be on that side of town. The guy who assembled this motor for me did not put an inline fuel filter back on. Not sure why. I always ran one, so Now I'm thinking i stirred up some crap in the tank or from the pump and it went right into the carb set. Ill post tonight or tomorrow with results from the test run.