• Page:

TOPIC:

Bad Stator 25 May 2019 16:16 #804558

• moroboshi1196
  • moroboshi1196's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,
So I have a new problem with my 1979 kz650. This time it's a bad stator. There are however so many type of stator on the market that I don't know which one to use or if they're interchangeable. Could anyone provide me with a list or even better, following websites where I can buy a compatible stator for my kz650? My model is 1979 Kz650-B3, the mechanic says the stator should be two phase. Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad Stator 25 May 2019 17:23 #804560

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There is no 2-phase stator on Kz's.
Two-wire is 1-phase.
Three wire is 3-phase.

Yours is originally 1-phase.
You can use a stator from any Kz650 that uses a permanent-magnet flywheel which is any model after 1977. After 1979 they went to 3-phase, and you can still use those stators, but will need a 3-phase regulator/rectifier. You can also use the stators from inline-four cylinder Kz750's (but not the twins). They are 3-phase and will also require a 3-phase reg/rec.

3-phase reg/recs are very common compared to 1-phase and you can use one from many modern Kawasaki's... most notably the Ninja 250's and 500's and probably many other Ninja models from the 2000's and teens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, moroboshi1196

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Bad Stator 25 May 2019 17:27 #804561

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
You state "the mechanic says the stator should be two phase."

As loudhvx stated the bike did NOT come with a 2-phase stator. The 1979 KZ650 came with a 1-phase stator. You may want to find a "mechanic" that has a better understanding of things - I know I would! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: moroboshi1196

Last edit: by 650ed.

Bad Stator 26 May 2019 10:59 #804622

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I would check the stator with a multimeter. maybe it is bad, but I'd still prefer to check it myself. it should be easy to do.

The 81-83 KZ650-CSR came with a 3-phase alternator & reg-rec combo unit, and the charging system is the same as a number of 750-4 models. I'm currently using the stock stator with 2007 Ninja 500 reg-rec (credit to loudhvx).

The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, old_kaw

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Bad Stator 28 May 2019 13:09 #804727

• moroboshi1196
  • User
Thank you for the advice. However I do not know how to convert a single phase charging system to a 3 phase system. I couldn't find any video online that teach you how to do that either. I would really love to learn how to do it considering the 3 phase charging parts are much easier to find. Can you teach me a detailed steps to install it? Like which wire connect or solder to which wire etc? Maybe even with pictures? I could even pay you for it, I really need some expert knowledge here. Thanks.

Bad Stator 28 May 2019 19:18 #804746

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Sure. It's very easy. You only have to add 2 wires. A donation to Kzrider afterward would be nice.

Your bike has a stator under the left side engine cover. To remove it, you simply remove the cover and unbolt 3 bolts. Your stator is 1-phase which has two yellow wires. It has 12 pole pieces which look like "spokes" of a wheel.

You will find one from a Kz650 or Kz750 which has three yellow wires and looks similar, but has 18 pole pieces or "spokes". You will find them on some/all Kz650 from 1980 and later. Or you can find one from a Kz750 four-cylinder from any year.

You can also buy an aftermarket stator for one of those later bikes.

Your flywheel which has the magnets on it should fit fine with the new stator.

Then you need a 3-phase combination regulator/rectifier. It will look similar to what you have but will have an extra yellow wire and a new wire which is brown.

So one of the new wires you have to add is a yellow wire from the stator to the regulator. It goes from yellow to yellow at both ends. You should be able to add it to the harness pretty easily, just follow the other two yellow wires.

The second new wire is the brown wire. It is switched 12v. That means whenever the bike is powered on with the Key, the brown wire should have battery voltage on it.

You can usually tap into the brown circuit at the ignition switch or other places on the harness. The brown wire feeds the brake light switches, the ignition and I think goes to the fuse box area. An exact wiring diagram for your bike will show it.

So you add the new brown wire from the appropriate location on the ahrness to the brown wire on the new regulator/rectifier.

You can use a regulator/rectifier from several models of Ninjas from the 200X's and 201X's. We'll help you locate one.

First thing we should do is find the correct wiring diagram.

Bad Stator 29 May 2019 16:33 #804810

• moroboshi1196
  • User
Hi, so this is how I am understanding it (Also attached pictures to see if I'm correct). I got the stator. The, I got the regulator, in which I am not sure which one is correct. Please help me check if any of the following is the correct one that I can use.:
1. The three yellow on the new stator will go within the side cover and connect with the 3 yellow on the regulator.
2 The brown wire on the regulator will go to the red-white stripe wire from the motorcycle.
3. The black wire will connect to the black wire
Please help me check if my understanding is correct and which regulator i will need. Thank you so much.

Bad Stator 29 May 2019 19:42 #804827

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

moroboshi1196 wrote: Hi, so this is how I am understanding it (Also attached pictures to see if I'm correct). I got the stator. The, I got the regulator, in which I am not sure which one is correct. Please help me check if any of the following is the correct one that I can use.:
1. The three yellow on the new stator will go within the side cover and connect with the 3 yellow on the regulator.
2 The brown wire on the regulator will go to the red-white stripe wire from the motorcycle.
3. The black wire will connect to the black wire
Please help me check if my understanding is correct and which regulator i will need. Thank you so much.

I think #2 is wrong. But I will have to check the wiring diagram.

If you get a regulator rectifier with 5 wires and it has 3 yellow wires, and one red/white, and one black for a Kz650 or Kz750four, then you don't need to worry about the brown wire.

You still have to add the yellow wire.

I can make a simplified drawing when I get a chance.

Bad Stator 29 May 2019 20:20 #804830

• moroboshi1196
  • User
If I'm guessing correctly, i should use the 3rd rectifier one yes? the shiny silver one, then the 3 yellow wire will connect with the 3 yellow wire from stator, then the red wire from the rectifier connect to the red stripe wire from the bike. then the black ring wire go straight to the battery. Right?

Bad Stator 30 May 2019 02:30 #804839

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

moroboshi1196 wrote: If I'm guessing correctly, i should use the 3rd rectifier one yes? the shiny silver one, then the 3 yellow wire will connect with the 3 yellow wire from stator, then the red wire from the rectifier connect to the red stripe wire from the bike. then the black ring wire go straight to the battery. Right?

It's hard to judge which would be best from photos since I don't know what the photos are actually of. But it appears to have the correct wire colors. Was there a listing of what it is, or where it is available?

Bad Stator 30 May 2019 07:38 #804866

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAlso, I've looked at the 79 diagram for a C3 and another for a D2. Your #2 statement above should be to connect the reg/rec brown wire to the brown wire of the ignition switch, or the yellow wire of the ignition switch. Not red/white.

This is the only type of thing I've had experience with and so far I've been lucky. Every one I've bought has worked fine.

OregonMorotcycleParts.com has been very reputable and has a good warranty.
They have the VRRPM3 which is probably the one you want. It does not require a brown wire.
Red goes to battery. Black goes to ground.
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

Another option is a series-pass regulator from Shindengen. Look for posts by Nessism. They don't have the brown sense wire.
Here is an image Nessism posted.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Bad Stator 30 May 2019 09:04 #804872

• moroboshi1196
  • User

• Page: