Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ440 no sparks 23 May 2019 15:45 #804464

• Fred.Ranger
  • Fred.Ranger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I recently needed to clean my oil gauge sight since it was so dirty from the inside I couldnt see how much oil i had.

I ordered a clutch cover gasket, remove the cover, cleaned the old gasket, the oil sight, and put everything back in place. Added oil and try to start the engine..... no sparks.....

After a few multimeter test following the users manual instructions :
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...M3FgcpMMR9hmQ_1Y5uIS

It come out that it would be my Pickup/Pulsing/Trigger Coil that need to be change. But im not sure about that... the test that my coil failed was the
" Set the ohmeter at its highest scale and check the resistance between either lead and the chassis ground. The reading should be infinite."

I had no reading at all on both lead to chassis.. am I missing something in those test or its actually the pickup coil thats dead. Altho it was giving a 400ohm reading while test one lead to the other...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ440 no sparks 24 May 2019 12:45 #804519

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I know you want a simple test, but since the pickup will be somewhat difficult to get, you will want to make sure it's bad before searching and paying for a new one.

Resistance checks are somewhat useful on the pickup, but not as much so on the igniter. And really, none of the tests confirm anything is good, the tests can only confirm if something is bad. A true test would be a bench test isolated away from the bike, but it is a lot more work. So I'm posting this in case you get to the point where everything seems to pass the meter tests or the results are inconclusive.

If it sparks on this bench test, then you know the parts are at least good enough to make it fire sometimes.

As probably mentioned in the manual, you can make it spark by tapping a steel object, like a screwdriver, on the center piece of the pickup. Make sure there is a path for the spark that has no more than 1/4" of open air. If there is no path, and a spark tries to happen, it can damage the coil or igniter.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: