Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 650 - Wired George Relay Harness 02 Feb 2019 13:17 #798076

• mrmach5
  • mrmach5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
My 77 KZ650 has always been cold natured on start up, slow to warm up etc. So after doing some research , stumbled upon Wired Georges tech area. After reading how it might be low voltage at the coils that might be the culprit, I tested with a multi meter and sure enough, only 9.75 volts at the coil . So I installed two new 3.0 ohm Dyna S coils, built and installed the harness and relay according to directions , installed new plugs and wires. Post installation I was pleased to test the coil voltage again now with just over 12 volts at the coils at both terminals. Cranked the bike over, but would not start. For some reason no spark at the plugs? Went back and checked all connections, wiring diagram etc., but still no fire ??????????

One caveat, The bike does have HondaMan's transistorized ignition for dual Point installed , but this system still uses the points as a triggering device. I'm reaching out to him as well to see if this has anything to due with my issue.

Any helpful info appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 650 - Wired George Relay Harness 04 Feb 2019 06:17 #798158

• mrmach5
  • mrmach5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Found there was no power at the points, so disconnected the aftermarket transistorized ignition , reconnected the points and condenser and got power. Reset the point gap and the timing, rolled it out side to test run, and decided to try and kick start. Started on the first kick !!! So the Wired George relay and wiring modification changed my bike from one that meant cranking and cranking with the electric start, to a one kick bike. Really pleased with the outcome.

KZ 650 - Wired George Relay Harness 12 Feb 2019 08:25 #798538

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Good to hear you found the issue.
When I read your original post, you had mentioned you checked all connections.
And were using an ignition system I'm not familiar with, so did not offer any suggestions.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: