Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 20:25 #794750

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19
I ordered a reg./rec from Ricks Motorsport because mine failed. Ive never even looked at the thing and its so cold in NY I havent looked under the side cover to see where it is.

But I did look at the manual.

It seems the OEM set up (correct me if Im wrong) is a separate rectifier and separate regulator. I bought a regulator/rectifier combo from ricks. How the heck do I wire this thing if this is s solid unit and OEM are two separate units?

Im just learning this stuff.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 20:39 #794751

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Pics would help.
Steve

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 20:42 #794752

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
It is impossible to successfully order parts without knowing exactly which parts you need.

Over the few years of production the KZ650 models used 3 or 4 totally different charging systems. So before you place an order for replacement parts it is imperative that you know exactly which system your bike came with. It would help if you would put the exact year and model of your motorcycle in your signature line. Doing that might enable someone on this site to provide accurate advice regarding parts for your bike. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 20:45 #794753

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

SWest wrote: Pics would help.
Steve

its pretty simple and Im not sure why pics are necessary. The original setup was a separate regulator and a separate rectifier, at least thats what the original manual shows.

Im not sure whats on the bike now. its 30 something degrees out and I have a wife and multiple kids. Cant run to the garage and take pics at nearly midnight.

It COULD have the same reg/rec pictured below, and then again it may be OEM separate as the manual states.

This is what I got from Ricks:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 20:49 #794754

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

650ed wrote: It is impossible to successfully order parts without knowing exactly which parts you need.

Over the few years of production the KZ650 models used 3 or 4 totally different charging systems. So before you place an order for replacement parts it is imperative that you know exactly which system your bike came with. It would help if you would put the exact year and model of your motorcycle in your signature line. Doing that might enable someone on this site to provide accurate advice regarding parts for your bike. Ed

Ed, its a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650B

When I researched I looked at OEM used reg/recs on ebay for my model bike. They looked the same as the new OEM style reg/rec combo on Ricks so I bought it. If its not right or whatever, I guess I will have to return it, but its advertised as a direct OEM fit for my year bike.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 21:07 #794755

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Pics of your current system can help us to tell what kind you have.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650Dude

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 21:13 #794756

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

SWest wrote: Pics of your current system can help us to tell what kind you have.
Steve

Right. Only thing is, when I take that cover off, if the regulator looks the same, its plug and play and I will be done in 10 min and wont need further advice.

What I was looking for is advice on how to wire if it IS in fact a SEPARATE rectifier and SEPARATE regulator thats on the bike now.

Or to clarify, I was looking for how to wire the OEM style I got from Ricks, which is a combined Rec/Reg unit if the ORIGINAL unit is two separate things.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 06 Dec 2018 21:33 #794757

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If it's a single phase system it might not work or it could be as simple as this.
Steve
Attachments:

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 05:01 #794761

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
If you have a B2, then you shoul have Numbers 4 and 32 in the diagram. If you have a B1, then it should have 13 and 4. Either way, they are separate.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-regulator-rectifier
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 05:46 #794762

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Check to see how many yellow wires there are coming from the alternator & also check if there's a green wire from the alternator. Report back.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 06:31 #794765

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

martin_csr wrote: Check to see how many yellow wires there are coming from the alternator & also check if there's a green wire from the alternator. Report back.

This is my setup. the thing that LOOKS like a rectifier, well, I have NEVER seen anything like it in my life. Ihas the yellow wires going to the stator, and a red wire pin connection, but its TINY.

As you can see, there is a voltage regulator as well.

What Im getting at is, what if the voltage regulator went bad? and if so, does this reg/rec unit I have make the voltage regulator obsolete, and if so, how do I wire? Very confusing. Ive got a new one piece system and it looks like the bike has two charging components that could have failed. On top of that, I have NEVER seen a rectifier like this:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 06:52 #794766

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
This is what matters on your Kz650 ... these three screws.

Those screws mean it's a 1977 model and you have an excited-field type alternator.
This means your bike is different from all other years of Kz650. The downside is that you can't use regulators from other years. The upside is that you have the best of all of the charging systems when it is in working order.

You need a very rudimentary rectifier, any off-the-shelf 50 amp 3-phase rectifier from ebay should work, but you also need a special regulator. You can buy them separately if you want, or you can get combo units which are really just the two pieces packaged together.

The regulator regulates power to the field coil on your alternator in order to regulate the output of the alternator, much like a car alternator,

OregonMotorcycleParts.com makes a reg/rec combo for your bike and they have proven to be a good source for reg/recs.

Heres a link to what you need. You want model "VRREM7-KZ".
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.