LED tail/head light requries load resistors, correct?

• newkzrider18
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Nov 2018 08:56 #794138 by newkzrider18
Morning all,

I would like to cut down my rear fender and install a LED tail light. Likewise the headlight could use upgrading as well.
I can figure out the mounting fine, but wanted to double check one thing...

Since it would be a switch from incandescent to LED on both tail/head light, I will need load resistors, right?
I figure it's the same reason as for the turn signals, but with those you can avoid the load resistors and go with a flasher relay.
This is a hot topic in turn signals, but I can't find an answer on this forum or on the internet for the tail/head light. Looking at my wiring diagram I didn't see any other alternative than load resistors. As for the headlight it looks like some LED have a higher wattage rating than the incandescent so maybe that one is OK.

Thanks!

1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Nov 2018 10:00 #794141 by SWest
In order for the brae failure indicator light to work I have a standard bulb in my tail light. If you don't care about that you can used LEDs.
Steve

More
23 Nov 2018 11:25 #794144 by Warren3200gt
You can use an led bulb in the tail light but you need need to fool the brake light indicator idiot light into thinking there is a filament bulb in there by adding a resistor in the circuit with equal resistance to a filament bulb.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry1

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
24 Nov 2018 12:25 #794177 by hugo
.......of course, by adding load resistor you defeat the best advantage of the LED; efficiency. The LED runs cool. The resistor will be doing the same as the incandescent bulb, wasting 80% of power as heat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
24 Nov 2018 12:49 - 24 Nov 2018 12:50 #794178 by Scirocco
The LED runs cool and are resistant to vibrations and have more than 100000 operating hours, no need for an brake light failure indicator any more. I use LEDs only on my Z1 front head light, rear light,brake light and flashers.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2018 12:50 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bergerbut