'81 KZ550 LTD C2 Starter Button/Solenoid Issues

More
08 Aug 2018 08:58 #788465 by Kuser
Hey everyone, 

New KZ550 LTD owner here and definitely NOT a mechanic haha...I've been reading the forum for a little while now but I've run into a starting issue I am having difficulties with. I would like to say that I've read MANY threads on this issue here and can't find the specific info I'm looking for. Battery was dead on my bike (only solenoid was clicking when tried to start) and could not be saved (sulphated) after the bike had stood in the garage for a few years. Went and purchased a new battery and when I tried to start'er up; the starter cranked for a few seconds and then went dead silent when I hit the start pushbutton. Now I've got nothing; not even any clicking. What I have done so far:

- New battery so shouldn't be the cause
- Bridged the terminals on the solenoid and the starter still tries to fire the bike up
- Disconnected the leads going to the solenoid and checked for resistance when the pushbutton was pressed (clutch in, also in neutral) and there was no drop or even a click - resistance held at 1
- Bike came with a Clymer (I know I know) and it said to check the black wire coming off the coil side on the solenoid for power, and there is none, however there is power going to the red/yellow wire connecting on the same side (test light, non-led)
 - Cracked open the pushbutton housing, little murky so I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner - only power reading on the inside is on the kill switch, none near the pushbutton...all connections look tight and solder joints look good
- Checked to see if there is any power going to the lockout switch and with both wires coming off there is no power, even when the clutch is in and the pushbutton is being pressed

I do apologize for the long-winded post but I am at a loss as to what to check for next; I checked all the bullet connections and traced the wires from the solenoid back but can't seem to find any obvious shorts without tearing into the harness. So, my question is - is the lockout switch that connects to the clutch lever supposed to have power when trying to start? Is the black wire coming off the pushbutton housing supposed to have power? How would I test with my test light or voltmeter if the pushbutton has power?

Thank you in advance for any info on the matter...again I am not a mechanic and this is my first time trying to tackle any kind of electrical issue besides fixing the stop light...I can send pictures as well of what's going on if need be!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2018 16:05 #788635 by ScottyKZ
Hey there! I just picked up an 81 KZ750 and am having the exact same problem and have checked all the same things as you! This is kind of bizarre! My bike even came with a clymer as well! haha. Have you gotten anywhere else with this since you posted? I am no tech either, but am going to keep looking mine over. I'll post an update if I find anything out.

More
14 Aug 2018 06:49 #788814 by Kuser
Hey ScottyKZ, any luck so far on your end? I haven't had too much progress yet; slowly going over every inch of the wiring harness, checking all the grounds, making sure power's going where it's supposed to etc...if I make any other discoveries or pinpoint exactly what's going on I'll let you know ASAP! Trying to salvage a bit of the riding season still haha...good luck and keep me posted too!

Kuser

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Aug 2018 07:15 #788816 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic '81 KZ550 LTD C2 Starter Button/Solenoid Issues
Is there a switch on your side stand? Have you tried starting the bike with your side stand up?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
14 Aug 2018 18:43 #788866 by Kuser
Hardrockminer - Shouldn't be a switch on the side stand, was trying to fire when it was on its kickstand and thats when it all gave out; have been trying to start it with the kickstand up and the bike resting on its centre stand.

SWest - Fuses are all good, nothing burnt out and tested with a test light.

Appreciate the responses gentlemen, keep them coming if you have any more ideas!

More
14 Aug 2018 20:47 - 14 Aug 2018 20:48 #788874 by Togoster
The switches on these bikes are somewhat light duty. I have the same issue on an old 1000 LTD right now. It worked a bit after a bit of lube then some contact cleaner but now it won't even depress. You can try that, spray with contact cleaner after you open the switch housing but if that works plan on an alternate course of action. These bikes are old, mine is a 78 but they've not changed much.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 20:48 by Togoster.

More
14 Aug 2018 20:57 #788875 by Togoster
One other quick thought, make sure to check the condition of the ground wire and its connection to the engine. To be really sure, take it off and check it and the contact points. Clean and remove any crud and scuff all contact areas. It's half of your electrical system basically.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Aug 2018 07:53 #788899 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic '81 KZ550 LTD C2 Starter Button/Solenoid Issues
Solenoid may be shot.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
15 Aug 2018 12:04 #788912 by Greybeard
Replied by Greybeard on topic '81 KZ550 LTD C2 Starter Button/Solenoid Issues
Check for resistance in the Starter cable too. These old cables get corrosion building up and it draws more amps than the battery has available. Test the positive battery cable by connecting the red lead from the multimeter to the positive battery terminal. Connect the black lead of the multimeter to the engine starter's positive terminal. ... Avoid using a multimeter or ohmmeter to directly measure the resistance in the battery cable.

1982 KZ1100 D-1