No Power

• ForbiddenWynrie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Jun 2018 01:04 #784498 by ForbiddenWynrie
No Power was created by ForbiddenWynrie
So I have a ‘84 kz550 LTD, that I seem to be having some issues with.

It was dumped and after it was picked up it wouldn’t start. There was also no power when the volt button was pushed. I took the battery out, it has a charge so it’s not that, put it back in and checked the fuses. I noticed they were all in pretty bad shape and one was actually broke. Hoping that was the issues I replaced then all... it’s not the issue.

I took the seat off the the plastic covers so I could see all the wiring. Mind you this is an old bike and had been sitting before I bought it. All the connectors seem pretty good but there is still no power.

Any help would be amazing seeing this is my daily driver as of right now!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2018 07:58 #784515 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic No Power
The most problematic location in regards to broken wires is right where the harness goes from the frame to the steering area. That bundle of wires gets bent back and forth every time the steering is moved.

The most common switch-related problem is usually the ignition key switch. Sometimes wires can break off of the switch terminals.

But to troubleshoot the problem, you will need a voltmeter and a wiring diagram to trace how the power is routed.]

• ForbiddenWynrie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Jun 2018 10:17 #784519 by ForbiddenWynrie
Replied by ForbiddenWynrie on topic No Power
Thank you. Is there any advice with reading the wiring diagram? I’ve tried to look at one several times and they are very confusing.

My other question is, is there a year/model that is a good substitute for my bike? Finding anything for an ‘84 is nearly impossible.

• ForbiddenWynrie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Jun 2018 18:35 #784530 by ForbiddenWynrie
Replied by ForbiddenWynrie on topic No Power
Found my issue! I had a burnt out fuse box!!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More