78 kz650 Sr no spark help

More
27 May 2018 14:35 #784181 by mppittman89
78 kz650 Sr no spark help was created by mppittman89
Hello,ok so I bought a 78 650 sr that Wass supposed to need a coil. It has had the dyna s installed. I Believe this is the issue but they have this wiring so hacked up and looks like they were trying to bare bones it. I have a brand new battery and I got power going to the coils when the key is on but no spark? The first pic is the dyna harness plugging into coils and the hot,but every wire going to the dyna is hot hooked up this way. Is this correct?

1978 kz650 Sr
1981 kz1000 csr
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2018 21:23 #784207 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 78 kz650 Sr no spark help
I have installed a few Dyna S ignitions so will try and help. The yellow red wire is the hot wire to connect to each coil. It is coming out of your kill switch on the right handlebar control. The yellow/red is then chopped with that light blue connector where it is supposed to connect in the red power wire for the Dyna S. Out of the chopped in light blue it goes into the splitter and one leg of the power should go to each coil. It doesn't matter which one of the two screws it connects to.

Your problem is the second connector.... the voltage feed wires from the Dyna S should be only connected in at the first splice connection and as I noted one yellow/red wire should come out of the that double connector and each leg connect to a coil.

The white wire with the black vinyl (I pictured as a black wire) should connect to one of your two coils and this will make that coil the 1&4 plug wire coil. It is coming from the left pickup coil on your Dyna S. The black wire with green vinyl sleeve is the 1&3 pickup coil and when connected direct to the other coil will make it fire the 1&3 plugs. You can download a Dyna S install guide from Dynaonline.com and refer to this miserable diagram I just drew. I suspect you will want to check timing as whoever did the wiring was really lost.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: xstreamcanadian

More
28 May 2018 09:44 #784238 by mppittman89
Replied by mppittman89 on topic 78 kz650 Sr no spark help

wiredgeorge wrote: I have installed a few Dyna S ignitions so will try and help. The yellow red wire is the hot wire to connect to each coil. It is coming out of your kill switch on the right handlebar control. The yellow/red is then chopped with that light blue connector where it is supposed to connect in the red power wire for the Dyna S. Out of the chopped in light blue it goes into the splitter and one leg of the power should go to each coil. It doesn't matter which one of the two screws it connects to.

Your problem is the second connector.... the voltage feed wires from the Dyna S should be only connected in at the first splice connection and as I noted one yellow/red wire should come out of the that double connector and each leg connect to a coil.

The white wire with the black vinyl (I pictured as a black wire) should connect to one of your two coils and this will make that coil the 1&4 plug wire coil. It is coming from the left pickup coil on your Dyna S. The black wire with green vinyl sleeve is the 1&3 pickup coil and when connected direct to the other coil will make it fire the 1&3 plugs. You can download a Dyna S install guide from Dynaonline.com and refer to this miserable diagram I just drew. I suspect you will want to check timing as whoever did the wiring was really lost.

Thank you for your help, I wired them up the way you have stated and I'm getting nothing, no spark. Will timing not being adjusted cause no spark? Or is it possible the dyna s is shot even tho it doesn't look fried ?

1978 kz650 Sr
1981 kz1000 csr

More
30 May 2018 20:44 - 30 May 2018 20:46 #784386 by wiredgeorge
First, turn on your ignition and see if you have 12VDC at the yellow/red connection to your coils. The two things you mention are both possible but the Dyna S is actually two pieces; the two pickup coils. If you are not getting spark on either the 1&4 or 2&3 side it is more likely they coils are not being powered than both are bad. How are you checking for spark? You will get spark regardless of how far off timing is but it just won't ignite the charge in your combustion chamber... we can look at timing once we figure out why no spark at all. Take a picture of your coils and the plug wires if you get a chance.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 30 May 2018 20:46 by wiredgeorge.

More
31 May 2018 15:08 #784432 by mppittman89

wiredgeorge wrote: First, turn on your ignition and see if you have 12VDC at the yellow/red connection to your coils. The two things you mention are both possible but the Dyna S is actually two pieces; the two pickup coils. If you are not getting spark on either the 1&4 or 2&3 side it is more likely they coils are not being powered than both are bad. How are you checking for spark? You will get spark regardless of how far off timing is but it just won't ignite the charge in your combustion chamber... we can look at timing once we figure out why no spark at all. Take a picture of your coils and the plug wires if you get a chance.

I have 12v at the yellow red wire so the coils are getting power. I read that if I out a test light on the black or green coil wire coming from dyna that it should go out and come on as I turn the crank bc if timing. But when I do this the light always stays lit nothing changes. I'm testing spark by grounding the plug to the case while I kick it over. I'm getting nothing.

As far as the coils I've tried the og coil that came with the bike and nothing then I bought a used set of Accel coils and wires and I'm getting nothing. I had also took one of my kz1000 that I know work and still no spark. (Noted) the Accel coils don't match up to mounting bracket holes so can only tighten one bolt.not sure if that makes a difference?

1978 kz650 Sr
1981 kz1000 csr
Attachments:

More
31 May 2018 20:05 - 31 May 2018 20:08 #784438 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 78 kz650 Sr no spark help

I have 12v at the yellow red wire so the coils are getting power. I read that if I out a test light on the black or green coil wire coming from dyna that it should go out and come on as I turn the crank bc if timing. But when I do this the light always stays lit nothing changes. I'm testing spark by grounding the plug to the case while I kick it over. I'm getting nothing.

If that's the case, then the Dyna S is becoming more of a suspect.

Disconnect the green and black wires from the coils. The test light will be connected to the battery red/yellow wire which has battery voltage on it (when the key is on). Connect the other end of the test light to the green or black wire. As the crank is slowly turned, the light should be on most of the time and then turn off when the magnet of the rotor is pointing at the correct pickup.

By the way, do you have a picture of the rotor you have on the mechanical advancer?
The Dyna S does not use the factory rotor. It should have come with its own rotor, which should have a magnet embedded in it, and the magnet must line up with the pickups as it rotates.

Also, people have had a lot of trouble with the blue spice connectors that come with the Dyna S. They should be thrown away and real connectors should be used. Make sure the connector lets 12v get to the red wires of the Dyna S.

The plate of the Dyna S grounds through the motor, so make sure the motor is grounded to the battery.
Last edit: 31 May 2018 20:08 by loudhvx.

More
02 Jun 2018 10:26 #784520 by mppittman89

loudhvx wrote:

If that's the case, then the Dyna S is becoming more of a suspect.

Disconnect the green and black wires from the coils. The test light will be connected to the battery red/yellow wire which has battery voltage on it (when the key is on). Connect the other end of the test light to the green or black wire. As the crank is slowly turned, the light should be on most of the time and then turn off when the magnet of the rotor is pointing at the correct pickup.

By the way, do you have a picture of the rotor you have on the mechanical advancer?
The Dyna S does not use the factory rotor. It should have come with its own rotor, which should have a magnet embedded in it, and the magnet must line up with the pickups as it rotates.

Also, people have had a lot of trouble with the blue spice connectors that come with the Dyna S. They should be thrown away and real connectors should be used. Make sure the connector lets 12v get to the red wires of the Dyna S.

The plate of the Dyna S grounds through the motor, so make sure the motor is grounded to the battery.

Ok so I have 12 volts after the splitter so not a issue right now.

I did the test light trick the way you explained to both coil wires and the light will not come on at all while I'm slowly turning it over.

I believe it's the correct rotor bc there a small magnet I can see. My camera sucks but theres a pic.

I'm assuming the dyna s is shot? So I'll most likely just buy another one so I can get this bike fired up and see if she runs and what else the po, messed up,lol.

1978 kz650 Sr
1981 kz1000 csr
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2018 21:18 #784535 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 78 kz650 Sr no spark help
The strange thing is that both halves of the Dyna S seem to be dead. That is rare, but certainly not impossible. Usually though, when the Dyna S fails, one half fails first, then the bike won't idle, so the bike is not run after that. You can crank up the idle to make it idle on two cylinders, but it will be real obvious that the bike is not running correctly. Since the bike won't really get run that way, it prevents the second half from failing. So most failed Dyna S will have one side that works. It sounds like both sides of yours have failed.

Also, I think it's more common for the dyna S to fail in a way that your test light would be on all the time, rather than off all the time.

Neither of these issues is that big of a deal other than it's not that common.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Jun 2018 21:41 #784537 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 78 kz650 Sr no spark help
The way it was wired they might be fried.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2018 08:48 #784784 by wiredgeorge
The previous wiring may have fried the pickup coils as stated. Also the Dyna S advance gizmo that has the bolt that goes into the crank has a small square spot on it that causes the coils to fire when the crank rotates it past the pickup coils. (hope that made sense). Anyway, the pickup coils MUST be 180 opposite each other. From your picture, they don't seem to be. Read the Dyna S instructions for setting the 1/4 coil using a 12V test light. It is often a bit difficult to move the 2/3 pickup coil to get it exactly opposite the 1/4 since they don't line them up well at the point of manufacture. If you can get both the 1/4 and 2/3 to have the test light come one when you turn the crank by hand then the pickup coils may be in need of replacement. I have never taken a pickup coil apart but there are probably little electrical things inside that don't like being hooked up wrong... not sure.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!