Turn signal switch wiring ('81 KZ440-A2)

More
09 May 2018 12:54 #783129 by Wicast3
Hello everybody,

I'm about to replace my left handlebar controls on my KZ440-A2 with something a bit more modern with a push to cancel turn signal function. I pretty much want to make sure I have my thoughts in order before I start cutting everything apart to solder the new unit's connector in.

I purchased the K&S 12-0041 unit, which has a wiring set up as follows:
www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_images/switch_ks_12-0041_back.png

Looking a the 440 wiring diagram in my manual (which is really hard to read, if anyone has a link to a more clear one - lol) I figure my wiring should go as follows:

Switch Yellow (Low Beam) to Bike Yellow/Orange
Switch Black (Horn Ground) to Ground
Switch Brown (Left Turn Signal) to Bike Green
Switch Green (High Beam) to Bike Red/Black
Switch Brown/White (T/S Main Wire) to Bike Orange
Switch Red (H/L Main Wire) to Bike Blue
Switch Blue (HI Beam LED Ground) to Ground
Switch Pink (Horn Main Wire) to Bike Black
Switch Dark Green (Right Turn Signal) to Bike Gray
Switch Blue/White (Passing Light) -- Unused

My real problem (assuming the wire routing I posted above is correct) is with the turn signal control unit. I'm pretty sure the unit only operates the auto cancelling signal function, which hasn't worked since I bought my bike. Looking at the diagram it looks like it should be okay to be completely bypassed and removed - am I correct in thinking this? I'm pretty novice when it comes to reading wiring diagrams.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2018 17:19 #783694 by Wicast3
Replied by Wicast3 on topic Turn signal switch wiring ('81 KZ440-A2)
Just an update to this -

The wiring in my original post is correct for an '81 440-A2 LTD. This completely bypasses the autocancelling function on the bike, allowing the turn signal control unit and all related wires to be removed. You can actually wire up the K&S unit without cutting your stock wiring harness at all if you take some extra time to play around removing wires from the bikes stock plugs and the new control switch.

I really like the size of the K&S 12-0041, as it is much smaller than way more modern than the stock KZ controls. The flash-to-pass trigger is a nice addition, and the blue LED (highbeam) indicator is very bright. The unit itself is aluminum, and all of the buttons feel solid. This unit is also a good option for painted/powder coated bars as the horn grounds through a wire instead of a contact point on the bar. The only downside is that there is a small nub that will need ground down for it to mount flush (or you could drill a properly sized hole into your bars as well).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.