81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Feb 2018 17:46 #779508 by agrestixrock
81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs was created by agrestixrock
81 kz650H1 csr. i lost all spark overnight. i got the bike on a trade for a moped and it had spark. cleaned out the carbs, put new gas in and eventually got it to run even though i have not had the carbs tuned yet. the engine stalled when i gave it gas and the battery hadnt charged enough to keep trying to turn it over. so i charged the battery over night and when i tried again the next day there was no spark. i have looked and looked at everyones issues and tried everything. thought maybe a wire smoked so i went through the whole harness, got new (used) coils from ebay, checked the pick ups ohms, and all seems to check out. the coils have readings on the primary side and secondary side but not from the primary to the secondary side. i did read that if both coils go at once its most likely the ic ignitor went with them. it has been sitting all winter and today i finally dug back in as it is nice enough. and from the positive sides from the ic ignitor i get about 10v with the switch on ( no key just an on off switch) just sitting and when i press the start button both sides drop to about 6v. is this normal? or does it sound like the ignitor is bad? i will try actual new coils when i get the money but wondering if i should look at the ic ignitor. the OEM parts would cost about $900 and i dont think the bike is worth that running. just looking for some help from people who know these bikes. thanks much
*this is my first bike and first time ever dealing with one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Feb 2018 18:20 #779509 by SWest

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Feb 2018 18:26 #779511 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic 81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs
It was about 12.4 not sure if it was completely charged as my charger doesn't have An automatic shut off. What voltage should I be looking for?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Feb 2018 18:43 #779514 by SWest

More
28 Feb 2018 05:00 - 28 Feb 2018 06:45 #779534 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs
Load test the battery: the motorcycle needs a good fully charged battery to run properly. Your voltage after charging is low.
There is a high beam test you can do. After charging the battery, a good battery should be 12.6+ VDC. Turn on the high beam.
The voltage should drop to 12.2 VDC. Anything significantly below that, then the battery should be replaced. For sure if it drops below 11 VDC.

The motorcycle charging system's job is to maintain a good battery, not to recharge a weak or bad battery.
In the ignition system circuit diagram the battery is the first component.
From the manual: "the working electrical part of the ignition system consists of a battery, two pickup coils, an IC igniter, etc etc."
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 06:45 by JMKZHI.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Feb 2018 07:20 #779536 by agrestixrock
Checked it again this morning, went from 12.7 to 12.5 in a bout 10 minutes. This battery isn't even a year old and I don't think I have receipt to return it. I'll check voltage when I get home from work. Also, should i have a reading from the primary to secondary side of the coils? the ones I got online the guy said he pulled off a running bike but get no reading through the coil with my meter. And does me getting voltage from the igniter indicate it is good at least?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
28 Feb 2018 14:50 #779561 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs
How to test the primary and secondary coil winding.

Attachments:

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2018 18:19 #779757 by agrestixrock
okay so i had one of my coils tested at the local motorcycle shop. it fired just fine. determined my battery was bad so i just bought a new one today. i fully charged it, and when i tried it with my good coil got nothing still. these are new plugs as well. im completely lost at this point. thought i was so close but apparently not. i didnt have my meter tonight so i couldnt get any readings with the new battery with it connected but when i went outside it was at about 12.8v on its first charge. came back in to it about 12.3v. the cranking still sounded weak unlike when i used my car battery (not connected to truck) jumped with the bad battery. it had a very strong crank but no spark because voltage was still low. how many ground points are on the main harness? the only main one i could see goes to the side of the engine. with the wiring diagram i found it looks like the grounds go to electronic accessory leads and the lights it shows no main points for grounds.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Mar 2018 18:40 #779758 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs
Do you have points? They act as the ground for the coils. They must be clean and the condencers have to be good. Blue sparks coming off them? If so you won't have spark at the plugs.
Steve

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2018 19:12 #779759 by agrestixrock
No it is the pickup electronic style I did take them off at one point but reinstalled them in the exact position as when I did get spark. When I ohmed them they were at spec with the manual. I feel like it has to be something with the harness as the previous owner cut all the tail components off so it is just wires and the ignition is just an on off switch but I did get it to spark with the same set up before

More
14 Mar 2018 08:04 #780225 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 81 kz650h1 csr lost spark on all 4 plugs
Please do not start more threads on the same topic. It is difficult for readers to know what has already been said.

With such a chopped up wiring harness, there may be multiple problems . Try making a jumper from known good wire. Connect it to the ignition box ground terminal and a clean, bare (not painted) spot on the engine. If you get full battery voltage to the box, then you have a poor ground with the stock wiring.
If you do not get full voltage, then there is a problem on the supply side wiring. It could be loose or corroded connectors, or wires that have internal breaks or corrosion.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2018 09:24 #780230 by agrestixrock
I do have this ground wire i can't find where it goes
Attachments: