kz440 Pickup coil replacement FOUND

More
20 Dec 2017 22:34 #776447 by Hondaxr500r
kz440 Pickup coil replacement FOUND was created by Hondaxr500r
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo first time poster Here on kzrider but i found something i feel is worth sharing.
I have found a cheap replacement for pickup (some call it pulse ) coil on ebay . Granted its not a direct bolt on but with a little patience, time and effort the pickup coil is available for in the $15 range on ebay.. The one i picked up is for a chinese atv and is EBAY ITEM NUMBER :182750010224 or
There are a ton of different sellers that carry these, the one i ordered actually had too short of a lead so i used my old wires and plug. so do some digging there may be another that has a longer lead but the one i got did have the correct plug.. any ways it has to be cut down a little and remounted on the original coil plate. i will take pictures soon and make a quick write up of what i did to give you guys a better idea but for now basically what i did was cut off the lower metal plate and turn the pickup side ways to match the profile of the original because it is CRUCIAL that the gap between the lobe on the crankshaft end and the pick up face, along with its position are exactly same placement as the original pickup because of timing issuse s that can possible damage your engine. i used Good Old jb weld to fasten the pickup coil to the original coil plate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2017 07:01 #776453 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz440 Pickup coil replacement FOUND
Nice. There were a few reluctor pickups that might work last time I checked, but like you said, they require some fabrication to fit them properly. Glad it worked out.

More
22 Dec 2017 05:58 #776482 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz440 Pickup coil replacement FOUND
... i used Good Old jb weld to fasten the pickup coil to the original coil plate.

I would drill some holes & use fasteners. My favorite epoxy is Permatex liquid metal, but I would never try it on something like an ignition plate.