Kz400 generator upgrade

More
12 Jan 2018 02:18 #777227 by oldblighty
Replied by oldblighty on topic Kz400 generator upgrade
so after much internet research on carbs for the z400 deciced on a set of vm30's from speedmotoco in the states, funnily enough worked out more cost effective buying from the states including the postage than buying the carbs etc with the same build spec over here
what i got was 2 mikuni vm30's with throttle cable and 2 filters with a choice of offset ones or straights, i went with the offset cone filters only problem with vm30's is they only come as left handed not as a pair but 30,s i think are about right for the engine size, went back to the net to see if there is a 30mm right hand slide available but mikuni doesnt make one so will have to make do with right carb tickover adjustment being a bit of a pain to get at. also this means there is 2 chokes to operate instead of just one lever operating both together so will be doing a little modifying in this department so both carbs can work on one lever , got something in mind but no pics as yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2018 08:32 #777233 by oldblighty
Made the setup more rigid by making a spacer for the rear tying the 2 carbs together

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
12 Jan 2018 14:59 #777239 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Kz400 generator upgrade
nice work on that choke linkage

More
20 Jan 2018 06:51 #777482 by oldblighty
Finally got it finished , as it’s not tested etc wont know if the mikuni vm 30 are dialled in ok or will need any adjustment at top end .
Still pleased with the way it turned out and may look for another project a little bigger in the engine department to hardtail.
The starter motor housing with it being a battery less bike is now storage for a couple of spare plugs , points and condenser
Thinking of fitting an electronic trigger at a later date proberbly a dyna s or similar.

More
24 Jan 2018 15:57 - 24 Jan 2018 16:00 #777719 by oldblighty
With the slow running screw being difficult to reach on the right hand carb, grafted a 10 mm nut onto the adjuster screw so now it is easy to adjust using an open ended spanner ,Bike starts cold with choke-on at 2nd kick, goes first kick when warmed up, speedmotoco ask what exhausts are being used so they can fit the correct jets to suit, seems they got this just right , so only took adjustment of slow running and tick over and everything is fine bike starts good with a steady even tick over and acceleration is smooth , took it up the road and thrashed the motor in low gear then plug chopped colour good. , anyone thinking of swapping out standard KZ400 carbs go for the mikuni vm 30s ,jetted to suit your build of course.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 16:00 by oldblighty.