Aftermarket regulator rectifier

More
25 Sep 2017 04:14 #771624 by kawiwowi
Aftermarket regulator rectifier was created by kawiwowi
Looking at after market regulator/rectifier's. (KZ750 twin). Are they truly combined in these units? My bike has separate regulator rectifier from the factory. I am looking particularly at the one from the seller Caltric, but I've noticed other aftermarket units are also listed as "regulator/rectifier".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2017 05:25 #771627 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: kawiwowi

More
25 Sep 2017 05:31 #771628 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier
I highly recommend you contact the folks at the link below. They know everything there is to know about motorcycle rectifiers and regulators and they make very high quality components. Ed

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kawiwowi, TexasKZ

More
25 Sep 2017 05:35 #771629 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier
Are you absolutely sure that either the regulator or rectifier are faulty?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Sep 2017 06:12 - 25 Sep 2017 06:14 #771633 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI ordered a Caltric R/R, it shorted damaging my stator and even the starter drive bearing. Made in CHINA. I ordered this one and it turned out to be a knock off made in taiwan and it doesn't work as well as stock. I replaced my two separate units in 14 and 16 with stock KZ 1000 ones. They work but I will get a genuine Mosfit.this time. It's easy to install the one piece units.
Steve

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 06:14 by SWest.

More
25 Sep 2017 06:26 #771636 by mrmach5
Replied by mrmach5 on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier
I recently had a no charging event on m 77 KZ650 and after several tests , narrowed it down to the rectifier . I purchased on of the combined units from Oregon Motorcycle Parts. Looked to be a high quality component. Easy install and now back to charging to Spec.
Go to the link 650ed provided and check it out.

More
25 Sep 2017 09:32 - 25 Sep 2017 09:39 #771654 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Aftermarket regulator rectifier
The 76 Kz750B1 twin and the 77 Kz750B2 twin use charging systems that are unique among Kz's. I don't think any other Kz is like them.

They use an excited-field alternator (which means it uses an electromagnet as a "field coil" to produce a magnetic field). The unique thing about those two bikes is that they use a solid state regulator on the negative side of the field coil to regulate the magnetic field intensity.

Other Kz's use an excited-field alternator, but they use mechanical regulators that controlled the positive side of the field coil.

The only company I have found that is aware of this difference, and builds their regulators accordingly , is oregonmotorcycleparts.com . Check out their online catalog to find the regulator specifically for the 76/77 750 twin. There may certainly be other options, but I haven't come across any the last time I looked, which was about 10 years ago.

Using regulators from other applications can work, but it requires a little bit of modification to the wiring.

And yes, the regulator and rectifier are separate devices, but they just package them together. On other Kz's, with permanent-magnet alternators, the regulator and rectifier may be integrated together internally. In some designs they can't be separated.

As TexasKz alluded, you should do some tests to make sure you actually need a new regulator and/or rectifier.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 09:39 by loudhvx.