Custom harness over winter

More
15 Sep 2017 19:55 #770974 by Kexchers
Custom harness over winter was created by Kexchers
I plan on completely rewiring my 1980 KZ650B4 over winter. It's heavily modified by the previous owner.
Any tips or advice?
It's going to be kick start only; all LED lights(head, tail, brake and turn signals); batteryless; lights for the tach and speedo; and horn hooked up.
My Clymer manual is coming in tomorrow, I have the schematic from KZ650.info saved. I have the new tach already, speedo and turn signals getting ordered next weekend with everything else being ordered/ aquired every Friday until I'm done.
The harness was butchered by the p.o. so it's getting scrapped, not many usable wires or connectors left. I've never done something like this before so im expecting it to take some time, long night's, lots of headaches and spares.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2017 21:44 - 15 Sep 2017 21:46 #770978 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Custom harness over winter
If your 650 has the same sort of charging system as the 750R1, this may help.

www.kzrider.com/filebase/download/79-kz7...kz-750-r1-bare-bones

User loudvx has posted a bare bones diagram for the 550, but I can't seem to find it right now.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 15 Sep 2017 21:46 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kexchers

More
15 Sep 2017 23:00 #770980 by Kexchers
Replied by Kexchers on topic Custom harness over winter
Thank you, I'll go search for it.

More
16 Sep 2017 04:32 - 17 Sep 2017 05:28 #770985 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Custom harness over winter
bare bones for mattylight --- pg 11. KZR topic by loudhvx.
There probably isn't a diagram specifically for the 650-B4 as it wasn't sold in the USA.
note: a bunch of the diagrams are no longer available. most from pages 1-10 are gone. But from pg 11-on many are still available.

Manual. The clymer manual is probably going to be kind of a pain to use on a 1980 model.

Wiring stuff. Z1Enterprises.com has colored wire.
Get a ratcheting open barrel crimper & use open barrel terminals --- the crimps aver very strong. stock type.
CycleTerminal.com is where I get most wiring stuff. The Sumitomo .250 & the .110 connectors are very similar to stock.
get extra terminal pins to practice crimping or in case you mess up. The connectors & pins are sized to match each other.
Some connectors use large terminal pins (voltage regulator) & some are small (fuel level switch).
Tools. Cycleterminal has a $32 crimper which is as about as cheap as they get. I already had a HF ratcheting crimper but the dies were wrong, so I got an open barrel die set off of amazon.com (the total cost ended up being about $30T for the crimper & dies).
cycleterminal also has a nice terminal pin extractor set which is very handy to have. white handles.
cycleterminal --- tools . scroll down to bottom of tool page for crimping info. ... more crimping help

cycleterminal.com ... .... cycleterminal --- connectors
Last edit: 17 Sep 2017 05:28 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, Kexchers

More
16 Sep 2017 08:39 #771011 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Custom harness over winter
I'm not sure a horn would work on a batteryless setup. Capacitors drain very quickly when a large load like a horn is applied... Like in a fraction of a second.

Similarly, some special wiring must be done in order to start without light on. Headlights act as a dead short for brief moment when they are first turned on. The motor must be revved just prior to turning the lights on. There needs to be a switch for the lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kexchers