1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking.

More
08 Sep 2017 15:20 #770614 by Kev81550
1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking. was created by Kev81550
Ok heres my dilemma, i have as the subject line states a 1981 kz550 that when i hit the start button all i get is the solenoid clicking but the starter not engaging. I bought a new solenoid thinking that may be the problem but the new one does the exact same thing. Ive read other topics in this forum and done everything others have suggested. I took the starter out completely and hit the start button and same thing, just the clicking. Ive done the screwdriver across the solenoid and got nothing, no sparks, no clicking, nothing. Then i thought maybe it was the starter but when i hooked it directly to the battery it turned. Ive meticulously gone over the wiring to make sure everything is hooked correctly and also my battery is reading 96%. If you have any other suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Should i order another solenoid or buy another battery or is there anything else that could be preventing the starter engaging? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Sep 2017 15:47 - 08 Sep 2017 16:22 #770615 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking.
Normaly if you shortcut the solenoid with a screwdriver the starter motor must turn.
Frame and engine parts (starter motor) are battery negativ connectet together.
A starter motor out of the engine without a negativ ground have no current flow.
Clean all metal surfaces where the motor is conected to the engine.
It could be the motor is weak and turn only without load.
The brushes that connect the commutator on starter rotor are shot
and no strong current can flow under heavy load.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2017 16:22 by Scirocco.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Sep 2017 16:11 #770616 by SWest

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Sep 2017 16:25 #770617 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking.
Under heavy load a weak battery has large voltage drop.
Try a jump start with a car battery

More
08 Sep 2017 18:47 #770623 by Kev81550
Replied by Kev81550 on topic 1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking.
Thanks! I do have a rebuild kit for the starter so im going to just go ahead and rebuild it but how you were saying the starter grounds to the motor makes sense too because the gentleman that owned the bike before me did paint the motor and it could be a good possibility that it isnt getting a good ground due to the high heat paint. Again thanks for you input, it gives me a few more avenues to try!

More
09 Sep 2017 16:26 #770655 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1981 kz550 solenoid just clicking.
The battery's negative cable should attach to the motor near one of the rear screws for the clutch cover. I usually remove a bit of paint for that screw.

Obviously if the starter is out of the engine, you will have to fashion another way for the starter body to ground to the battery.