Horn switch only sometimes works.

More
30 Aug 2017 18:46 #770029 by Setton
Horn switch only sometimes works. was created by Setton
A few days ago I had an incident where if my horn hadn't worked, I'd be dead right now. I push the switch and usually nothing happens. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it feels like it's probably a physical problem, not an electrical problem because when it does work, the switch feels different...

I'm wanting to replace the entire assembly, but I'm also weary of getting rid of the stock controls...

Is there anyone who makes a reproduction left hand switch assembly? If not, what are some good after market options? I've found some decent looking after market ones, but they lack the hazard switch, and that's pretty important to me.

KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2017 19:21 #770031 by M_a_t_t
Replied by M_a_t_t on topic Horn switch only sometimes works.
You could unplug the left hand switch assembly and jumper the two pins to see if it is the switch. For a temporary fix you could wire a momentary push button switch in and zip tie it to the handlebars. I admit it would look kind of tacky though.

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Aug 2017 19:31 #770032 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Horn switch only sometimes works.
The switch completes the ground. I have a aftermarket and the button is crap. No way to fix it.
Steve

More
31 Aug 2017 10:40 - 31 Aug 2017 10:46 #770080 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Horn switch only sometimes works.
I'm not familiar with the switch in question, but I have repaired switches on several of my motorcycles. When they are repairable, the bodies on the switches just snap together and by pushing on the correct tabs they come apart. They tend to have little springs and fiddly bits so be careful. Once apart just clean and lubricate the parts. I generally do not un-solder the wires from the switches during such repairs because they are made of plastic and melt quite easily. I just fix them in place.
If you can't repair the switch, take the broken switch down to radio shack and see if they have something close. I replaced the start switch on my kz1000-p7 with a radio shack switch. works fine and looks great.

Here is a link to the start button topic. Sorry, but the images don't seem to work anymore.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/595010-re...start-button-sources

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2017 10:46 by jakedude.